Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default MIG or stick on this one?

Heres some background... the middle tank weighs 17 tons, about 45 feet tall, and empty (and washed) of diesel. certified by the fire marshall and all. i have to build 8 brackets to weld to the top outside edge of the tank for the crane to pick up the tank, and lay it down in the area to the right in the picture. the crane operator is using shackles with a 1" dia. pin. i was planning on using 3/4" or 1" plate steel, making "T"s so i have some substantial welds on the tank (which is a 5/16" wall thickness)

I'm still perfecting my uphill stick, so i was thinking of running .045 in my suitcase, running a couple passes. any other opinions?

F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

or should i just run a 75/25 mix with a solid wire?
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375

I would use the suite case with flux core in .045 and run it on a deep vgroove from both sides,,,uphill of course.

Peace,
    Paul

Cool

I would use mig. I didn't like the part where it was "certified by the fire marshall". Now i work in a refinery and that tank would need blinded and rechecked at least 2 hours before the welding was done. So if anything i would get it re sniffed before you start. The sun seems to bake out some smelly stuff. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Your text in a readable version. BTW, I would just use 6010 downhill, piece of cake.

"Heres some background... the middle tank weighs 17 tons, about 45 feet tall, and empty (and washed) of diesel. certified by the fire marshall and all. i have to build 8 brackets to weld to the top outside edge of the tank for the crane to pick up the tank, and lay it down in the area to the right in the picture. the crane operator is using shackles with a 1" dia. pin. i was planning on using 3/4" or 1" plate steel, making "T"s so i have some substantial welds on the tank (which is a 5/16" wall thickness)

I'm still perfecting my uphill stick, so i was thinking of running .045 in my suitcase, running a couple passes. any other opinions?"

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Your text in a readable version. BTW, I would just use 6010 downhill, piece of cake.

"Heres some background... the middle tank weighs 17 tons, about 45 feet tall, and empty (and washed) of diesel. certified by the fire marshall and all. i have to build 8 brackets to weld to the top outside edge of the tank for the crane to pick up the tank, and lay it down in the area to the right in the picture. the crane operator is using shackles with a 1" dia. pin. i was planning on using 3/4" or 1" plate steel, making "T"s so i have some substantial welds on the tank (which is a 5/16" wall thickness)

I'm still perfecting my uphill stick, so i was thinking of running .045 in my suitcase, running a couple passes. any other opinions?"
    Downhill ? You gotta be $hitting me. I can't believe someone would even suggest such.I'd definately not hard wire it either. Good 'ol 7018 uphill or flux-core uphill.No offense but if your still "perfecting" your uphill stick I'd be leary of you welding it period. It's not that big of a deal welding wise but you would hate for your welds to break and leave you liable for anything or anyone.Also if the wall thickness is 5/16" your wasting alot of metal for those brackets, your metal is only as strong as the thinner of the two if materials are the same for both pieces.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

7018 or flux core would be what i would use! 7018 if a cert was needed! Been wanting to get a cert with flux, just haven't yet!

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
    Miller HF 251D-1
    Miller 175 wire feed

Definently not down hill as the penetration would be insufficient. The deal here is that he will have no where near the amount of shear needed to break a proper 6010 or any 60?? series rod for that matter. Welding this in virtually any rod your comfortable with will be sufficient. Spreading the load of the eye to a wider area is a good idea as it will make a shear tear less likely so using a thicker eye plate is reasonable. Also do not place the eye brackets flush to upper edge. moving them inboard from the upper edge will also reduce the possible shear and tearing forces as it is turned over.

Peace,
    Paul

by inboard of the upper edge, do you mean lower on the wall, or more on the top? the crane company asked me to just get the hole for their shackle outside the 2" lip on the top. my plan was to make up a plate 1/2" thick, 10" wide, 14" tall, welded to the tank, in the taller direction, and the plate with the eye coming off that 6" in a T direction, 9" down the plate, made from 3/4" material.

the T's would be fabbed in the shop, so the 10x14 plate would just have to be welded to the tank in the field.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375

Down the side, if it merges with the top lip it could cause a tear point. As beefey as the mounts your building it should be a fine set up for the crane rigging.

As always caution be your guide, if it looks suspect then stop and fix it.

Good Luck,
    Paul