Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: welding lens #

no i wasn't offended. I actually did think you were trying to be a d!ck, thought it was kind of amusing. So sorry for acting like a d!ck to you.

No worries.

Weld on.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

I run a #12 almost all the time. Indoors actually you should run a shade or two darker because your eyes are already dialated to take in as much light as posible so using the same shade indoors as you use outdoors is not very good on your eyes. Day and Night is even worse.
    And I run a Hunstman 411P #12 Gold Lens. I can't stand auto darkening hoods They never worked for me and I'm rough on my gear so when I brake my Huntsman All it cost me is about $40 And cool paint job do nothing for me either. But to each there own
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

thanks guys. everyone has their opinion and diff. methods of welding, for me its easier to use a auto darkening helmet cuz i can see the welds before i start welding then the rays give off light so I can see while im welding. so for me I like to see what im doing at all times. plus Im mostly welding car panels and so i need to see where the panel is so I can tack it. thanks for the info. if u got more keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by chase1994 View Post
    What is the lens darkness number yall use for mig welding. I am using a flux cored btw. and what about stick welding. thanks.
    I was told by an instructor once that if you see white spot's your lens is to light and if you see dark spot's the lens is to dark or vice versa. Lens choice is a personal thing. I use a #9 autolens but the safety glasses I wear are a #1 so I have a 10 in total. The reason I do this is when you work in the bright sunlight or snow in Canada when you flip your helmet up the sun or the snow makes you see spot's and when you are running beads or hot passing you don't have time for your eyes to adjust. Hope this helps. Jef

yes, i get what ur saying. I am mostly welding outside, so I will try a 10 shade, I have a fixed lens helmet with a 10 lens. It works ok, but like someone else said, its a orangish color when it lights up. thanks guys

Default "Arc Rays"

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    The lenses are typically supposed to keep out rays from certain harmful sections of the light spectrum. I have forgotten the names of them as it's been a number of years since I was in science class. However, if the shade is too light, the brightness will tire your eyes and make them more sensitive to bright light for a period of time after. My eyes hurt and tear for awhile when I use too light a shade for too long. I use the darkest shade I can still see the weld with.
    Your eyes need to be protected from radiation exposure caused by welding.

Infrared radiation can cause retinal burning and cataracts.

Ultraviolet radiation can cause eye burn known as "welder's flash," and isn't always apparent until several hours after exposure. Not only does it cause extreme discomfort, but can result in swelling, fluid excretion, and temporary blindess in extreme cases.

Shade darkness (number) is determined by arc current (amperage), ranging from #8 ( less than 50) up to #14 (500-1000).

Generally, #10 is suitable for most operations, but when in doubt, one should refer to the many safety guides published by the manufacturers.

Safety glasses meeting Mil V0 ballistic impact tests and ANSI spec Z87.1 1989 should always be worn underneath the hood.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 09-02-2009 at 03:25 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"