Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: welding lens #

Hybrid View

Default welding lens #

What is the lens darkness number yall use for mig welding. I am using a flux cored btw. and what about stick welding. thanks.

I mostly use the auto hoods these days and vary the shade from 10-13, depending on light conditions and process/current. When I do wire and stick with my fixed shade hood, shade 11 works good for outdoors and shade 10 works good for indoors. I've used shade 12 with wire and it can be a little dark sometimes indoors or in low light areas but outdoors in the sunlight it works fine.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

I use a Miller Elite. It has adjustable shades from 8-13. For stick welding, I set it at 10.5 or 11. But I go by what is comfortable with my eyes. If it seems too bright I'll turn it up some. If it's too dark, then I lower it.. It's all about what you are comfortable with looking at.

I have a cheaper 7-13 auto darkening. but I was just thinking that if it is a low # it could hurt ur eyes. Like using a 7 setting or something but i read on lincoln electric.com that it doesn't matter about the # that is just the shade and that the lens should still keep out light. IDK if that is correct.

OH and i also heard that u want to set it where u can still c ur weld puddle clearly and i went to North Georgia tech for a field trip and went to the welding class and thats the way they had there helmets fixed. JW if this is correct. thanks

I only use two different shades #9 for tig and #10 for mig or stick. I have never had the need for anything darker. No auto-darkening crap hoods. they never have enough neck coverage anyways. I use and love my large view lincoln electric hood i bought from home depot. If you plan on using a good hood(again not an auto-darkening), never use the crappy plastic shade it comes with, everything looks way to orange IMHO(especially the gold ones). Find a glass one like a radnor(brand i use). it's like welding in HD compared to a plastic lens.

Quote Originally Posted by chase1994 View Post
    I have a cheaper 7-13 auto darkening. but I was just thinking that if it is a low # it could hurt ur eyes. Like using a 7 setting or something but i read on lincoln electric.com that it doesn't matter about the # that is just the shade and that the lens should still keep out light. IDK if that is correct.

OH and i also heard that u want to set it where u can still c ur weld puddle clearly and i went to North Georgia tech for a field trip and went to the welding class and thats the way they had there helmets fixed. JW if this is correct. thanks
    The lenses are typically supposed to keep out rays from certain harmful sections of the light spectrum. I have forgotten the names of them as it's been a number of years since I was in science class. However, if the shade is too light, the brightness will tire your eyes and make them more sensitive to bright light for a period of time after. My eyes hurt and tear for awhile when I use too light a shade for too long. I use the darkest shade I can still see the weld with.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Quote Originally Posted by chase1994 View Post
    What is the lens darkness number yall use for mig welding. I am using a flux cored btw. and what about stick welding. thanks.
    I was told by an instructor once that if you see white spot's your lens is to light and if you see dark spot's the lens is to dark or vice versa. Lens choice is a personal thing. I use a #9 autolens but the safety glasses I wear are a #1 so I have a 10 in total. The reason I do this is when you work in the bright sunlight or snow in Canada when you flip your helmet up the sun or the snow makes you see spot's and when you are running beads or hot passing you don't have time for your eyes to adjust. Hope this helps. Jef

yes, i get what ur saying. I am mostly welding outside, so I will try a 10 shade, I have a fixed lens helmet with a 10 lens. It works ok, but like someone else said, its a orangish color when it lights up. thanks guys