Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about Tow Dolly Hubs

Hi there I'm trying to build a tow dolly for my car which seems fairly straight forward except I 'm not too familair with hub/spindles for trailers.

Seeing how I'm not using an axle I found this assembley
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page

Can I just bolt these too the uprights of the dolly assembly? Or is there another type of hub/spindle I should be looking at?
    Thanks

Looks like these are designed to be used with a 2 x 2 in. square tubing as an axle, The flange with the holes is for a brake assy.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

What would you use for a trailer with no suspension? Like a Dolly? Where I want to drop the frame down low

Here is a pic off a Uhaul dolly it looks like the spindle just bolts up to the tubing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

So if you aren't using an axle, what's keeping the spindles from cambering out when a load is applied?

If you just put these things on the frame, the offset load it creates will cause the frame to twist allowing the wheels to camber severely. The end result is the tops of the wheels run into some part of the trailer and cut the tires.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    So if you aren't using an axle, what's keeping the spindles from cambering out when a load is applied?

If you just put these things on the frame, the offset load it creates will cause the frame to twist allowing the wheels to camber severely. The end result is the tops of the wheels run into some part of the trailer and cut the tires.
    Doesn't the majority of these things go without an axle?? I see them around all the time but truthfully am not very drawn to them.
    I had one given to me a few weeks back and it was solid.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post

Man I'm lost with your post, I'm sure I posted a pic with my post and am I missing something because I sure don't see an axle in the pic of the Uhaul dolly set up. But maybe you're seeing something I'm not ? All I see is the spindle bolted to the upright? Is that what I'm seeing?

Or is that a drop axle?
    Last edited by MrBurns; 08-30-2009 at 07:39 PM.

The picture submitted by Mr Burns is a good example. The axle is offset several inches below the axis of the spindles, and it is welded directly to the frame. This is the member that maintains alignment of the spindles. Thus, it is the axle.

Attached Images Attached Images

Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Why not just bolt it straight to a 2x4 upright?

Actually I see now why they can't bolt it straight to the upright , because the main tube is dropped so it would interfere with the tire so they made that offset mount to extend out and the bolt the spindle to that. So its not really an axle yes? Its just an offset mount?
    Last edited by MrBurns; 08-30-2009 at 07:45 PM.

An axle is a structural member with spindles on each end. Bends, dips, turns offsets, springs, can make it difficult to see the forest for the trees so to speak. But in that photo, the 2x2 square tubing is in fact an axle.