Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Thank You oiw.

Yes I agree it will be the coolest mailbox on the block. I have No intension of making this mailbox for anyone, other then this one as a gift.

1. The idea belongs to Zann. I respect that, and would not take another's ideas and profit from it.

2. Its a cool conversation piece, If I was to make them for all the neighbors it wouldn't be cool anymore.

Now if someone wants to sketch up there own crazy idea, then I would be glad to work out a deal of some sort.

See I have this disease called brain block. You want me to draw it ur sh!t out of luck. You show me an idea and I can make it, well most of the time anyways. I may not know how to do it but I will give it one he!! of a shot. Right now I weld for fun. If the day comes that I could retire and have a small shop doing small odds and ends then that would be great. But for now I do it because I can and I enjoy doing it.
    Right there's the reason for doing it .... because you can. The best thing about welding, as a forum member on another forum said, "If you can dream it, you can build it." That's going to get cut into a sheet of metal and hung up in my garage .....

Great work on the box so far ... please keep us updated on the build.

I would like to clarify one thing. I hate to sound petty but I don't want someone to quote me and throw it back in my face later.

1. The idea belongs to Zann. I respect that, and would not take another's ideas and profit from it.

I should have said I would not take another's idea and profit from it when that person sells or makes money from said idea.

There is tons of ideas here that are shared and borrowed. We all do that.

What I was trying to say was that if Zann or any other person takes the time to build a site and post there stuff for others to view, we should respect that. I greatly appreciate the fact that he has a site that the public can view and download material.

Like I said I just didn't want to be taken word for word down the road.

Thanks to all for taking the time to check out my project.

Tom

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

No, no, no, you misunderstood what I was saying ..... I understand that you're not trying to make a profit off someone else's idea. Got that loud and clear. All I was posting was that part where you said you weld for fun because you can, and you enjoy it. THAT'S what matters .... because you can and enjoy doing it, watching something growing under your hands, and being proud that no one else has anything like it, because it was something that you yourself built.

I've always wanted to weld, ever since I was 20. I never had a chance to go to a school and learn, or go hang out at some of the auto shops or metal fabrication shops, and it always was in the back of my mind ... something I'd missed .... something I'd regretted. I regretted not knowing how to weld for over 20 years. Finally, after talking about it with a lot of people over several months, I saw an ad for a cheap Harbor Freight 110v MIG welder, and decided that I wasn't getting any younger, and the time for regretting "what might have been" was over. After a lot of time, practice, and plenty of errors, I'm finally welding. My welds may not be the greatest or prettiest, but I'm still learning, still practicing to make them better. No schooling for me - anything I've learned, I've done all on my own ... from reading these forums and asking lots of questions.

I totally respect the fact that you're giving the credit due to Zann - after all, it WAS his design - but don't put down your own abilities, either. What I've seen so far that you've built has been impressive. I've been thinking about doing something like that, except with a roadrunner or lizard.

Last year I decided to share the artwork that I had made over the years. I had fun making it and hopefully other people will too. Seeing Toms own version of the mailbox was fun, and receiving recognition from another welder was great. It would be nice if someone does not mass produce them since it will reduce the fun knowing you can buy them all ready pre-made.

With Christmas just around the corner, feel free to make anything you like. I am sure friends or family would appreciate having something that is homemade and not available to anyone else.

I personally like making new things so I do not plan on making a business out of selling my artwork. Actually it is a compliment when someone likes my artwork well enough that they make their own version. Of course if you like my artwork, a link to my web site www.zannjones.com would be nice.

I am currently trying to come up with a new ideal using the steel that I ordered from King Architectural Metals (www.kingmetals.com). It is a slow process, but it is what I enjoy doing. I plan to post some more pictures on the forum when I am further along. (Hopefully I am successful posting the picture)

head.jpg

Happy Welding
    Zann Jones
    www.zannjones.com

Thanks Zann.

Hey this thing looks like a pig that visited the Willy Wonka candy factory and got all swelled up.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )