Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Air powered Cannon

I am going to try to post some pics of an air powered tennis ball cannon. It is made from stainless tube.
    It will put a tennis ball just shy of the stratosphere ha! The air can be regulated down for the little kids too, they all like to try and catch the tennis ball coming down.

If there are a group of kids, 4 or 5 ball-s at the same time can be shot, makes it kick harder though!

DSC07658.jpg
    Last edited by popspipes; 08-28-2009 at 07:12 AM.
    mike sr

another pic of one of my steel pipes on a Rc model boat, these are tig welded from a kit.

DSC07634.jpg
    Last edited by popspipes; 08-28-2009 at 07:09 AM.
    mike sr

Cool

Cool boat. I had a Dumas RC boat with a K&B 61 on it and she sure was fast on the water. Mine was an air boat so i could run it on the snow also, even faster...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Cool boat. I had a Dumas RC boat with a K&B 61 on it and she sure was fast on the water. Mine was an air boat so i could run it on the snow also, even faster...Bob

This rigger is running mid to high 70,s on the gps. That is one of my other passions ha!
    Thats what got me started making the pipes.

It is also the reason for the air cannon, I tried shooting a fishing line over the boats, it worked, but the little electric boat we now use works much better.

I am experimenting with posting pictures, I think I have most of it figured out except they are a bit small.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I am going to try to post some pics of an air powered tennis ball cannon. It is made from stainless tube.
    It will put a tennis ball just shy of the stratosphere ha! The air can be regulated down for the little kids too, they all like to try and catch the tennis ball coming down.

If there are a group of kids, 4 or 5 ball-s at the same time can be shot, makes it kick harder though!

DSC07658.jpg
    Hi Mike ! Just checked into the forum here and came across this posting. I've been away from the Dynasty for a while - too humid up here in Canada to spend more than 30 seconds in the garage these days. It has started to cool off a bit this week though, so hopefully I can get back at my "training" soon. I've got the steel cut and mitered for about 6 projects and waiting in the corner for when I get past the coupons

How does this little cannon work? I can see some potential with this for a mega-potato-gun in my future.

Cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by LewisCobb View Post
    Hi Mike ! Just checked into the forum here and came across this posting. I've been away from the Dynasty for a while - too humid up here in Canada to spend more than 30 seconds in the garage these days. It has started to cool off a bit this week though, so hopefully I can get back at my "training" soon. I've got the steel cut and mitered for about 6 projects and waiting in the corner for when I get past the coupons

How does this little cannon work? I can see some potential with this for a mega-potato-gun in my future.

Cheers,
    Lewis
    Lewis,
    It works well, every shot goes off and the air can vary the shots. It will shoot a tennis ball high enough that if you bat your eyes it dissapears. Kind of sounds like a shotgun, it is a bit noisy, works like the pvc spud guns from a few years back. I can put one over the back fence which is 100 yards or so.

It uses a goyen valve and a small momentary valve to trigger it, the barrel is swagged up piece of 2 1/2" stainless tube to accomodate the tennis ball. The tank is homemade, I used a 3" stainless tube and it has swagged end caps on it. I have a 4" tank but its kind of heavy to use but the ball does go farther.

The kids from 50 on down have a blast with it ha!!

Its been cool here this summer not many 90 degree days this year, but this summer is kind of unusual........

The kids use a ball glove as its hard to catch and stings the hands even though its in free fall.
    mike sr

now thats cool i made one along time ago but it shot golf ***** and it would bust a 1x4 pic of wood
    mine never looked as good as that one tho
    good job

Neat project and beautiful work! How does that Goyen valve work? I am trying to source a valve to work with a truck tire bead seater (similar principle - needs high volume blast of air to work).

Looked on the Goyen site and it has something to do with using a reverse pulse of air to clean air filtration bags. Does it need some sort of pilot valve to operate the pulse valve?

Most people are using DC operated sprinkler valves, your setup looks much heavier duty.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    Neat project and beautiful work! How does that Goyen valve work? I am trying to source a valve to work with a truck tire bead seater (similar principle - needs high volume blast of air to work).

Looked on the Goyen site and it has something to do with using a reverse pulse of air to clean air filtration bags. Does it need some sort of pilot valve to operate the pulse valve?

Most people are using DC operated sprinkler valves, your setup looks much heavier duty.
    Thank you sir for the compliment!
    These valves are used in dust collector systems in bakeries, the one I have is pilot operated, the air is supplied by the goyen valve to the pilot, the small valve releases it momentarily to fire the main valve. Mine is a 3/4" version and they make them a lot larger. the max pressure is listed at 110 psi. I use mine at 150 psi occasionally.
    mike sr

Very cool I must have one, I have a scott air pac aluminium bottel laying around that will work good for this.
    What ID size of tube use for the blaster?