Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Supply

Default Steel Supply

Hi,

I just started MIG welding recently and have come up to a problem.... I ran out of steel tubing to weld, I bought some at the local salvage yard but they don't have anymore 1" 16Ga tubing. Anyone know of a good and relitivly cheap place around Chicago or online to buy steel tubing? I hate to have to pay $23.00 for each 6' piece of 16Ga mild steel at Menards; especially since I bought the last batch for $1.50 a foot. I need about 18' more to finish building the wrap around supports for my benchtop in the garage.

Thank you for your time,
    Dan Baleckaitis

Default Steel supplier

Dan,

I have gotten some material from Speedy Metals out of West Bend, WI. Their prices are reasonable and they don't require you to have a huge order like some suppliers do to justify shipping. Since I am a teacher cost is a major concern and I can't pass on huge shipping cost to my students. Also remember that you can always use metal, especially if you are new to welding, so if you can swing the extra cost order extra material to have on hand for future projects.
    They don't have a web site at this time but their number is (262)784-4140. Give them a call and they can send you out a copy of their most recent catalog.

Good Luck!
    Brennen
    Last edited by unib63; 11-17-2006 at 03:08 PM.

I think these guys are fairly close, I 've bought from them and like dealing with them. I dont really know if the prices are anything great or not but you can give them a try. No minimum order and they will ship 8' lengths UPS and freight truck longer stuff.
    http://www.shapirosupply.com/
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

hi all try king architectural metal the cataloge i have is a year or so old but they ship 24 ft lenghts truck frieght and the catalog says that its 1" x 16 gauge6.96 each or 6.72 each if you buy a bundle of 96 if you use a lot of it
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

gues i should have gave you their # its 18005422379
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

hey where are you located? I can sell you all rthe steel you want and for 1x 16ga alot less than a buck 50 a ft. i buy it i will cut it and ship it if you need me to.

Cool

I make alot of projects from 3/4" and 1" EMT condiut, it bends and welds well plus you can get it at any corner hardware store...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster
    I make alot of projects from 3/4" and 1" EMT condiut, it bends and welds well plus you can get it at any corner hardware store...Bob
    Sorry off subject but isn't EMT galvanized? I have always been told that galvanized metals are dangerous to weld because of the gasses given off when welding.

Cool

Yes it is galvanized. But with the proper PPE that you would normally wear when welding, it includes a half mask 3M respirator. You know those little stickers that come with each roll of wire or pack of rod that no one reads, explains all the dangers that go with welding. This has been hashed over pretty good at the Miller Motor Sports site. I am not making excuses, i welded for 20 years without a respirator, but for the next 20 i will be wearing one...Bob
    http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...anized+welding
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Wink

Yes EMT is galvanized but very lighty, Its easy to clean off and makes good exhaust pipe for small engines. Also very thin and doesn't weigh much. Fairly easy to weld if galvanized cleaned off. "wear the mask":
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]