Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller econotwin hf

HEY GUYS! need some info on a ECONOTWIN HF #JG081991, a friend of mine has one he took in on trade for another tig machine and said he would take $650.00 and everything i would need to get started it looks to be in good condition but i have to confess i know nothing about tig but want to learn how to weld aluminum . can any of you guys give me any info on this machine good , bad ,pros cons etc. thanks chris

Default Miller econotwin hf

I've used one a lot. You will like the AC or DC Functions and if you need to weld aluminum or stainless the Econotig will do it as long as it doesn't need more than 150 amps.
    The newer Welders have more functions that are really handy if you can utilize them enough to justify the expense.

The Econotig only has fixed frequency HF, no phase shift and not remote amperage control, they are all neat options but I can live without them for the cost difference.

spudsnstuff - The OP is asking about the Econo Twin HF and not the Econotig that you reference. They are two different machines and the Econotig does have remote amperage control whereas the Econo Twin HF does not but only remote HF on/off.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by ctinberg:203386
    HEY GUYS! need some info on a ECONOTWIN HF #JG081991, a friend of mine has one he took in on trade for another tig machine and said he would take $650.00 and everything i would need to get started it looks to be in good condition but i have to confess i know nothing about tig but want to learn how to weld aluminum . can any of you guys give me any info on this machine good , bad ,pros cons etc. thanks chris
    I have had one for about 10 yrs now and i use it almost everyday. I usually use it with 7018 1/8 and 3/32... it welds em like a champ all day. I occasionally use it for alum Sheet metal up to 1/8" and that also does well if you can weld alum without pedal. I have never had any problems with it so far. If the one your looking at is in good condition i would say its well worth 650 because no one makes em to last like that anymore

Jg= 1986

I think the price is a bit high, it is a good maching, but at 150 Amps you will be limited on Al. It is what a 1986 mach, and sold for about $900 if I remember correctly.