Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Building Inexpensive Pipe-beveler

Hi, Im trying to build a pipe beveler in my shop so I can practice pipe welds. My idea is to make a turn-table which the pipe will sit on and spin while a height adjustable arm with affixed oxy-torch does the cut.

For the turn-table design I would like to model after what pipe welders use on there trucks to roll spool pieces. I can't remember what they are called, but the guy I used to work for would put the device into his vice, bolt a flange on to it, then tack up the length of pipe and the device would spin freely.

Can anyone tell me what thats called or even explain how they are made?

Once Ive got one of those built I plan to attach some kind of variable speed drive to it. Any idea's on the best way to do that would be much appreciated also.

Thanks for any replies.

What size pipe are you wanting to cut? 6" or less just use a band saw then bevel by hand. 8" or more I would just make a cutting guide out of a pieces of HRS that I could clamp/tack to a piece of pipe. I have cut plenty just following a soapstone line, then cleaned up witha flap wheel. It is easy enough to bevel it on a set of homade rollers. I think you are overplaning this project just for a few pipe pups. Worst case I woul dgo to the steel supplier and buy the pipe and have them cut it into pieces on their bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastadon View Post
    Hi, Im trying to build a pipe beveler in my shop so I can practice pipe welds. My idea is to make a turn-table which the pipe will sit on and spin while a height adjustable arm with affixed oxy-torch does the cut.

For the turn-table design I would like to model after what pipe welders use on there trucks to roll spool pieces. I can't remember what they are called, but the guy I used to work for would put the device into his vice, bolt a flange on to it, then tack up the length of pipe and the device would spin freely.

Can anyone tell me what thats called or even explain how they are made?

Once Ive got one of those built I plan to attach some kind of variable speed drive to it. Any idea's on the best way to do that would be much appreciated also.

Thanks for any replies.
    These devices are called flange rollers or flange turners, your choice.

Griff

Cool

Look on ebay for a Boston gearbox or gearmotor. You prob would want a 60:1 or an adjustable rate gearmotor. I have some idea pics...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48