Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Security door parts

Greetings,

I am jumping back into welding after about 18 years away. To explain why I left,,I moved out of state with my ex-wife, couldn't find a job so I became a cop. Need something to add to my retirement so,,,,,

Anyway. Security doors are real big out here in New Mexico so I thought I would fab some up for cash. Only trouble I'm having is finding the piece the locks go in.

I have looked at many different styles and types and they all use what apears to be the same part. It is a purpose built steel "box" that has holes for the locks pre-drilled so that it can by welded into the door. The have a step to build up the thick ness from 1" to make the lock work right.

Anyone out there have a supply source for them?

I've googled till my eyes went blurry with no luck.

Any direction would be great

King Architectural Metals has those if I'm not mistaken. They're right in your back yard too, so shipping should be cheap.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Like this? http://www.kingmetals.com/default.as...temcode=15-102

King Metals has a lot of stuff for what you are doing. Take some time and browse the site, or even better call and get the printed catalog.

BTW, where in NM are you? I was in Roswell for 2 years.
    Jim

Albuquerque.

My wife went to NMMI speaking of Roswell

Thanks for the help

Any locksmith should be able to source just what you are looking for.

King metals will have what you need. 214-388-9834, option 4 for steel sales, Jimmy, Zane or Scott are all good guys

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman1886 View Post
    My wife went to NMMI
    Me too. 1969-71 All male back then.
    Jim

I have made a ton of securrity doors over the years. I have found it far easier to use a mortise lock than it is to use 1" tubing with a big lock box in the middle. With a mortise lock you use 1x2 tubing for you whole frame. King Metals, like everyone has said stocks those locks and prepunced rails. I order a different brand of locks than Kings, but they fit the same holes. I also make my own door styles because the .065 1x2 tubing that is used for the prepunched ones is too light, an .083 tubing is much stouter in this application. The good thing about using mortise locks is that it frees up you interior of the door for your design work. It also doesn't have to be divided to make screens to fit it due to the lock box protrusion. I also make a full perimeter jamb out of 1" tubing, with angle iron that fits inside the existing door jamb. That way it install with 6 screws into the jamb/stud. There is no hanging/adjusting the door, just slap it in and go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BTW I just noticed your moniker, where are you from?

Smile Very nice . . .

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I have made a ton of securrity doors over the years. I have found it far easier to use a mortise lock than it is to use 1" tubing with a big lock box in the middle. With a mortise lock you use 1x2 tubing for you whole frame. King Metals, like everyone has said stocks those locks and prepunced rails. I order a different brand of locks than Kings, but they fit the same holes. I also make my own door styles because the .065 1x2 tubing that is used for the prepunched ones is too light, an .083 tubing is much stouter in this application. The good thing about using mortise locks is that it frees up you interior of the door for your design work. It also doesn't have to be divided to make screens to fit it due to the lock box protrusion. I also make a full perimeter jamb out of 1" tubing, with angle iron that fits inside the existing door jamb. That way it install with 6 screws into the jamb/stud. There is no hanging/adjusting the door, just slap it in and go.
    Does your door have glass installed?, or is that openings "only" in the door.

Whatever it is, it sure looks 1st class . . .

Steve
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"