Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Wayne

I cut the socket because when I welded it to the rig I didn't put too much effort into lining it up with the top one. It would have been fine out of line like that if I was doing long pickets but when I was doing short ones I couldn't get the stock through both sockets(because they weren't lined up) so I cut it. After cutting I tried it and it just spread the socket open. I hammered it closed and welded on some .75 flat bar and that held it fine.

Hope that helps.

I built a twister similar to that a few years ago. I used 1" square tubing for the main frame. On the "top" end I welded a piece of pipe then proceeded to find a 1/2" drive socket and a 3/8" drive socket that were the same outside diameter and would fit inside the pipe and put handles on each. BTW, I had to extend the handles on the 1/2" one. It DOES take some torque to twist 1/2" bar. On the lower end I made a holder that will slide up and down the 1" tubing for the desired twist length. I made it 2 sided where the 1/2" or 3/8" bar would lay in it rather than have to pass through a square hole. I just slip it off the end, flip it over, then slip it back on. The advantage is that you can do multiple twists on the same piece by just reversing the ends and dropping it in the lower holder. I can take pics if anyone is interested. It's not fancy but it was cheap and it has worked for me for years.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    I built a twister similar to that a few years ago. I used 1" square tubing for the main frame. On the "top" end I welded a piece of pipe then proceeded to find a 1/2" drive socket and a 3/8" drive socket that were the same outside diameter and would fit inside the pipe and put handles on each. BTW, I had to extend the handles on the 1/2" one. It DOES take some torque to twist 1/2" bar. On the lower end I made a holder that will slide up and down the 1" tubing for the desired twist length. I made it 2 sided where the 1/2" or 3/8" bar would lay in it rather than have to pass through a square hole. I just slip it off the end, flip it over, then slip it back on. The advantage is that you can do multiple twists on the same piece by just reversing the ends and dropping it in the lower holder. I can take pics if anyone is interested. It's not fancy but it was cheap and it has worked for me for years.
    YEA.... upload the pics any project is always nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    I'm thinking about building something like this myself so I'd be really interested in the pictures as well.

I'll try to get pics today. Probably be Fri before I can get them posted.
    Jim

Default Pics of my twister

First 3 show the twister setup for 1/2" and the last 2 pics are 3/8".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

Cool

Here's mine i built in 2000...Bob

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=46
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

On "How Its Made" they showed the process.
    1. Induction coil heater
    2. Two lathe chucks on a bed, facing each other
    3. Large hand wheel on one chuck
    4. Clamp the pre welded rods in each chuck
    5. Twist and then bring one chuck towards the other to create the bottle effect.
    6. Rotate the chucks and make each rod concentric with each other.

Pretty neat process.

jim