Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default A few pics of a new hand rail project.

Mother-in-law is having more and more troubles going up and down stairs. So I tried to fix her porch up a little. I wont show any pics of my hand rail at home since I DONT like it, but here is a few of the railing at her house.

I ran .035 Lincoln inner-shield, about 5 on voltage and around 27 or 28 on wire speed on the frame portion. On the uprights I ran between 3 and 4 and about 22 on the wire. I was a little disappointed in my work because of the splatter. But I forgot the pam spray at home and possibly I could have had the settings just a little better. All in all I was happy in the end, It ended up square and level even tho the porch is not.

Sorry I didn't get any close-ups of my beads.

The post are 1 1/4" x 1/8 square tube.
    The rails are 1 1/4 channel.
    And the uprights are 1 1/2 x 1/8.

I couldn't decide until it was time to fill in the uprights, but I set them 4" apart and turned them on angle inside the upper channel. Its kinda a different look from the normal 1/2 or 5/8 square tubes. I think I like the way it looks, its kinda growing on me. Mother-in-law loves it so all is good.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Just an FYI.

The steps are next on the list. I'm just not sure if I want to form and pour concrete, or if I want to make them from 10" walk tread. I have a day or two to think about it while my nephew paints the rail.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

[QUOTE=tom37;202372 I couldn't decide until it was time to fill in the uprights, but I set them 4" apart and turned them on angle inside the upper channel. Its kinda a different look from the normal 1/2 or 5/8 square tubes. I think I like the way it looks, its kinda growing on me. Mother-in-law loves it so all is good.[/QUOTE]

When I first looked at the pic I had a hard time figuring out your pickets. However, when I read you used flat bar and turned them sideways I kinda like it the more I see it. Unique.

I have to put handrails on my cabin and I may adopt you idea. Thanks for posting

WOW...... Thanks Geezer.

It makes a guy feel good about himself when someone considers
    a wild idea as a starting point for a project. Like I said I wasn't
    sure about the way it was looking all the way until almost the
    last picket. The 1 1/2 flat set at a nice angle with-in the grove
    of the channel, and they were easy to get the right angle with
    out extra jigs and such.

I dont usually post large pics, but I will put one up to show a
    little better view.

I think if I was to do it over I would use a picket that was not
    as wide for the portions where there is a 90 degree turn. That
    way all the pickets would be at the same angle. On this rail
    there is only 2 pickets on the short section so it wasn't a big deal.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

That is the perfect size of pics to post IMO...MUCH nicer

I like your picket idea as well...kinda thows a "comtemorary" look in there.
    Way to think out'a the box!
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Looks really good!

I really like turning the pickets a little. I will use/steal that idea, thanks.
    You should be proud of what you made when the Mother-in-law likes it.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the good words.

I wanted to attach it to the concrete tonight, but young nephew thought yesterday was a good day to play video games and NOT prime the rail. I wanted it to have primer wall to wall. Then bolt it down and then put the top coats on it after its bolted down. Anyways there is always tomorrow I guess.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums