Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding 410 stainless steel

Hey everyone , I'm new to this forum , not new to the welding scene, anyway , I have a new challenge at work. I'm fabricating a stainless air diffuser out of 410 stainless steel , 1/4 th plate mainly with some thicker end details to be added later . I was just wondering what would be the best filler material to use ???? I will be TIG welding this assembly together . I've welded plenty of stainless in my time , but mainly 304 and 308 alloy . So I was wondering if there are any tricks to welding 410 material ????? Any help with this is appreciated . Thanks!!!!!!! Walt

Lightbulb Welding 410

Martensitic (high-strength iron/chromium). Wear-resistant, but less corrosion-resistant. "Most common methods of welding, can be successfully employed with this alloy. To reduce the chance of cracking, it is advisable to preheat the workpiece to 350-500 F. Post-weld annealing is recommended to reattain maximum ductility. Filler metal, when required, should be AWS E/ER410." You can also use 309L with great results.
    Dan

Default "410-Over & Under"

Quote Originally Posted by welderwalt View Post
    Hey everyone , I'm new to this forum , not new to the welding scene, anyway , I have a new challenge at work. I'm fabricating a stainless air diffuser out of 410 stainless steel , 1/4 th plate mainly with some thicker end details to be added later . I was just wondering what would be the best filler material to use ???? I will be TIG welding this assembly together . I've welded plenty of stainless in my time , but mainly 304 and 308 alloy . So I was wondering if there are any tricks to welding 410 material ????? Any help with this is appreciated . Thanks!!!!!!! Walt
    410 is among the Martensitic Stainless Steels. These steels will transform to austenite on heating and, therefore, can be hardened by formation of martensite on cooling.

They have a tendency toward weld cracking on coolong when hard brittle martensite is formed. Chromium and carbon content of the filler metal should generally match those elements in the base metal.

Type 410 filler is available as covered electrode, solid wire, and cored wire.

Pre-heat and interpass temps in the 400-600F is recommended, and post weld heat treatrment is used to soften and toughen the weld.

Types 308, 309, and 310 austenitic filler metals can be used to weld martensitic steels to themselves or to other steels where good "as-deposited" toughness is required.

Hope this helps

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 08-12-2009 at 07:16 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Thanks for the info guys !!!!!! The pre-heat and post heat requirements will really help out. As I said , I have welded alot of 304 stainless and that is so easy to work with . I had to special order some 410 alloy filler metal for this project and for another weldment still to come . I have the part assembled and tack welded and am now waiting for the filler metal to arrive . I'll let you guys know how this project turns out . Once again , thanks for the quick responses and helpful info , Talk to you soon !! Walt

Default 410 ss

No problem Walt.. Good luck with your project..
    Danny
    -Miller 250 DX TIG Runner
    -
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    -Miller Millermatic 251 MIG Welder
    -Miller Spoolmatic 30A spool gun
    -MK Diamond Manta III
    -Heavy Duty O/A Setup
    -Hydraulic Horizontal Band Saw
    -Vertical Band Saw
    -20' x 8' Multi-Position Jig Table
    -Earthquake 2-Man Auger