Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Coulda went fishing

I couple of friends invited me to go on a charter boat this weekend, I got to do this instead. I had to cut out 4' of bed floor and cap the next 2'. The cut out section was replaced by 1/4" sheet and the 2' cap was done with 1/8" sheet. The truck had to be done over the weekend to avoid down time for the customer during his regular work week.

1st. pic is the bed the way I got it.
    2nd. pic is down to the frame
    3rd. pic is my jury rig to move the replacement sheeting (1/4" plate is kinda
    heavy for one guy to move)
    4th. pic is initial fit up
    5th. completed project.

This little project took about 20 hours to complete, most of it cutting and grinding. Burnt up one of my Dewalt 4" grinders in the process, but that's O.K. cause this job has paid my mortgage for the next month or so. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default This is last week ends project for the same customer

This is a long time repeat customer, last week I had to fix the corner of his fender and pretty up the rest of the truck for him. Not only did the job S U C K, but it did get me some powder coating practice, I did the headlights, front steps and the fuel tank steps in powder and spent the best part of two days polishing all of the aluminum and stainless on this beast. I blended in the paint on the fender and repainted both air intakes. Another week end gone, but at least these week end jobs keep paying the bills. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

nice work. that fender repair is sweet. i thought you were a welder not a body man.

awwww come on man, its only 1/4".... whats the matter getting lazy in your old age.
    good idea, too many would try to do it the hard way and pay for it later.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    nice work. that fender repair is sweet. i thought you were a welder not a body man.

awwww come on man, its only 1/4".... whats the matter getting lazy in your old age.
    good idea, too many would try to do it the hard way and pay for it later.
    Did quite a few years in the collision trade before it became more and more like a job, that's when I decided to make the transition into fabrication and burning rod full time, hopefully this will never turn into job. Dave

Cool

as long as the bill's are still getting paid you cant argue with that kind of logic.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Dave

Very nice job on the truck bed and on the tri axle, now I know where to go when I want a more professional look. I just did a job exactly like the bed replacent last winter. Only difference was where you stopped at the sides, I had to take it up another 8 inches because of rot and splitting in the bottom edge. What I hated was the welding underneath, I never knew my body could bend in so many different ways.
    Last edited by KBar; 09-17-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Cool

Dave, Can I have the pieces you cut out? It would make our truck bodies look flat. LOL Great job on both counts.

Talking

What kind of box was it? I've got to rebuild my dads box this winter. He has a through exhaust barabou box and the soot on the inside make for a nightmarish time welding. He uses his for concrete tear-out and it gets prety beat up inside. Does anyone here know what type of steal I should use for the bottom? A36 just wont't stand up to the abuse it deals with.
    Great work as always Dabar!

I Live in Ensenada Baja California, around 75 miles south of the border with San Diego

Great job indeed, sorry you miss spending time with your fishing buddies...

Some one has to take care of the bills... right.
    A C T I O N ! ! !