Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thanks.

For paint, I tried two different paths -- and I'll see how each holds up over time. For most of the sections (everything that sits on the retaining wall), I cleaned the steel with detergent, rinsed it, dried it, scuffed it with sandpaper, and then used Krylon Industrial "Iron Guard" light gray primer. It's what King Metals recommended, and it's compliant for California (which has its own laws on this, apparently). Over that, I used Krylon Industrial "Iron Guard" gloss black. Both are latex.

Then, on some smaller sections, I tried a different approach. I cleaned and prepped the metal, and then used an automotive anti-rust paint: POR-15 "Blackcote," which is a variation of POR-15 that also contains UV protection. (Ordinary POR-15 will get chalky and lose its gloss when exposed to direct sunlight for too long.) POR-15 is not latex, it's a pain in the neck to apply, and it costs $45/quart. I used up a quart of it, and so far it's held up just as well as the traditionally painted stuff.

But of course time will tell.

I brushed (and sometimes rolled) the paint on. It's a lot slower than spraying, but it gives the paint more character -- which to me is what you want on a wrought-iron fence. It already looks like it's been there for a long time.

Spraying has its advantages, but I used less than a gallon of paint for the whole fence, which was nice from a cost perspective.

Havent got to follow the thread for awhile and you've been busy. Very nice job.

Thumbs up Fence

Hey Jack,
    Looks real nice Make your house look real good Hope your leg is better.
    Great Job once again Vernon

Thanks.

Here's a small update. Yesterday, my wife finished up on her part -- the landscaping. No vines, so repainting the fence won't be a nightmare.

You can also see my second front-yard welding project, a swingset. It's not painted yet, but the kid loves it.

The grass is a mix now of new sod and (do they do this anywhere outside of Southern California?) short-cut grass with its annual winter dose of steer manure.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 11-19-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Jack,

you up for a brew later?

I'll be over at Bergin's on Fairfax for the games tonight.

Swing looks good! Now I'll really know which house is yers
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    (do they do this anywhere outside of Southern California?) short-cut grass with its annual winter dose of steer manure.
    I've not heard of "short-cut grass" here in the upper-right-corner,
    but then, my thumb is very very brown. I can say, though, that
    my wife gets a pickup load or 2 of composted cow manure every year
    for the garden. I imagine that it's the same stuff, or at least comes
    from the same source... The plants love it.

Swings and fence look great

frank

Great looking job, and a great report on the steps. Don't be so hard on your self about the little leg thing being out of place. Every time I build something and ask the family how it looks they think its perfect, then I proceed to show them all the mistakes they didn't see. You know the only people that would notice are those OCD welder people, you know how they are.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein