Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default need some help with a new machine

i recently purchased a miller 180 w/o autoset and started setting it up, below is my setup and im looking for some assistance im having trouble doing the initial setup i can not get the setting on the welder right for some reason, i figure its something completely stupid or something im overlooking, but any adjustments i make i cant get a good SOLID weld out of it, whether it be real choppy or crackling sounding, ground is good...so forth, when it feel like it needs to be hotter i turn it up or turn it down according to the situation and same with wire speed ...i just cant get anyhting good out. some help or another set of eyes looking at the setup may tell me my stupid fix, big problem is i dont have the owners manual because when i got it i told the wife to file it in with all my important documents and stuff and now she cant find it hahaha, got me worried about my other REAL important stuff haha

This may sound silly, but have you checked to see that the connection between the gun and the machine is seated all the way? If it is not seated on the o-rings properly then you will loose most if not all your gas before it makes it to the weld. UMMMM not real sure why I know this!!! But I do.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Is the drive assembly connected to the negative terminal? (inside the door?) Switch the cables going to the + and - terminals.

If you still can't find your owner's manual, look here.

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Check to see if your drive roll tension is good. Back the tension right off and hold the gun facing the floor, pull the trigger so the rolls start feeding the wire you want enough pressure that when the wire hits the ground it will fold over and continue going. Not hit the floor and the drive wheels just slip on your wire.

After you have that setup its all about playing with your heat and wirespeed. They may have some starting points on the inside of the side panel cover where you access you roll of wire.

Good luck.

Solid wire requires DC+ polarity. You need to change the big wire from the drive rolls to the big "+" sign and swapthe other big wire to the "-" sign. You also need to run co2 or c-25 gas when using solid wire. Turn the wire speed all the way down pull the trigger, you should hear a puff of gas coming from the nozzle.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Is the drive assembly connected to the negative terminal? (inside the door?) Switch the cables going to the + and - terminals.
    Mig is electrode positive so im guessing the cable from the drive rolls supposed to be hooked to the positive terminal?

Edit: beat me too it.

awesome guys ill check it out when i get home from work and see what kind of change i get i thought it was the opposite way "-" "+"

You can also download the manual from this site. Look under resources at the top of the page. It'll help you get set up. Good luck and have fun.