Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default all done

finished the repair last night about 2000 hrs and delivered it this morning. i couldn't really tell if the owner was happy or not with the repair. he paused and looked at it for a minute and said "i'm sure it'll be fine," and asked for an invoice, he disappeared and came back about ten minutes later with a check -- guess that means he was satisfied.
    of course the added metal was a different color than the painted/rusted existing metal but give that a few days and it'll be hard to tell the difference.
    i thought i did a good job but it kind of leaves me confused when the owner doesn't break down and cry with joy -- LOL!
    oh well, i'll post some pics in the next day or so, i left my camera in the shop this am and i'm at the hospital now.
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Will be interested in seeing the pics, sure appears you done it right.

May I ask how many hours you had in the job? What replacement material did you finally use?
    Geezer
    Miller 175
    Power MIG 255c
    Ranger 8
    1974 Wisconsin 5K AC Only (Cherry)
    Spool Gun
    185 TIG
    Victor/Harris O/A

Default time and materials

from start to finish it goes something like this ... APPROXIMATELY

clean-up and prep -- 1 hour (remove mud and concrete etc)
    cut toothbar off and remove old metals (lots of weld holding those old side plate pieces on) -- 3 hour
    bevel toothbar -- 2 hours
    cut bad metal from bucket sides and bevel for new welds -- 2 hours
    cut new pieces and bevel -- 1 hour
    fit toothbar and tack into place 1 hour
    burn up about 25 lbs of 5/32 7018 -- 7 hours

those times are approx with a total of 17 hours. it could have been done faster, especially if i could ever figure out my 12vs, heck, while i'm at it i need to figure out the stick welding thing too. the only portion i had any help with was lifting the toothbar into place. the rest of the moving and flipping (via gantry crane) and so on was a solo effort.

one day i'd like to get an air gouge setup and maybe speed up some of the disassembly that i have to do on these projects.

i'm also mentally working on a better lift system -- one that is only supported by my three point hitch and not operated by it i.e. a lift that is more like a backhoe boom resting on an axle and the cylinder will be operated with the tractors hydraulic pump. tractor is a ford 5610 if your wondering. if i ever get started i'll post pics of that project as well.

my 12 vs suitcase frustrates me because it seems that whenever i go out of position i have to reset the wirespeed, but that's a whole 'nother post.

blah blah blah ...................
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Quite an effort, I imagine it would have taken me longer. Being semi retired I work at my own pace and adjust the time accordingly. Folks understand that going in or the job is a no go.

Just curious, what type metal was used for the repair?

Thanks, appreciate the post
    Geezer
    Miller 175
    Power MIG 255c
    Ranger 8
    Spool Gun
    185 TIG
    Victor/Harris O/A

Default Cac

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    from start to finish it goes something like this ... APPROXIMATELY

clean-up and prep -- 1 hour (remove mud and concrete etc)
    cut toothbar off and remove old metals (lots of weld holding those old side plate pieces on) -- 3 hour
    bevel toothbar -- 2 hours
    cut bad metal from bucket sides and bevel for new welds -- 2 hours
    cut new pieces and bevel -- 1 hour
    fit toothbar and tack into place 1 hour
    burn up about 25 lbs of 5/32 7018 -- 7 hours

those times are approx with a total of 17 hours. it could have been done faster, especially if i could ever figure out my 12vs, heck, while i'm at it i need to figure out the stick welding thing too. the only portion i had any help with was lifting the toothbar into place. the rest of the moving and flipping (via gantry crane) and so on was a solo effort.

one day i'd like to get an air gouge setup and maybe speed up some of the disassembly that i have to do on these projects.

i'm also mentally working on a better lift system -- one that is only supported by my three point hitch and not operated by it i.e. a lift that is more like a backhoe boom resting on an axle and the cylinder will be operated with the tractors hydraulic pump. tractor is a ford 5610 if your wondering. if i ever get started i'll post pics of that project as well.

my 12 vs suitcase frustrates me because it seems that whenever i go out of position i have to reset the wirespeed, but that's a whole 'nother post.

blah blah blah ...................
    If your using the 225 Bobcat and 12VS, that's part of the problem. They didn't have the best CV ouput. Also, if you do get a CAC torch, consider upgrading to a Trailblazer for both wire feed and CAC. The 225 just doesn't "cut it."

That's some serious metal, when doing bucket repairs, and you really need to ensure that your welds will hold. A lot of these metals are low-alloy, high tensile steels with yield strengths of 90,000 psi or higher and welding/repair needs to be approached accordingly.

CV out put on the 225, especially if hardfacing, can create more frustrations than satisfactory results. Seriously, consider a TB Air-Pak if you're going to be doing this on a regular basis.

Anxious to see some picks of your work.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default forgot camera again

left my camera at home again, guess i'm just too excited about getting to the hospital LOL!

thanks for the advice on the TB air-pak. i'll consider that move. right now i'm leaning towards strictly working at the shop and dropping the mobile ability. this is really just a part time thing i do. the non-mobile equipment will probably be the less expensive way to go.

grade 50 plate was used for the repair.........
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Default pictures

well here's the pics. i always get to the end and fail to take enough pictures. that night i was tired and ready to crash. the next morning the only thing on my mind was getting the bucket back to them..............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

grnxrymnky,

Very good job. I have a much smaller bucket to repair so I have been following this close. Thanks for posting.

Please do not misunderstand, nothing suggested in the following. Just looking via the www it is somewhat fuzzy how 25lbs of 7018 would be used, but the true thickness and size of the patched in pieces are obviously large enough with the bevel to eat up allot of rods.

My initial instinct would be to pull the broken pieces back in place. I see now it is far better to cut them out and start from fresh.

Again, thanks for posting.
    Geezer
    Miller 175
    Power MIG 255c
    Ranger 8
    Spool Gun
    185 TIG
    Victor/Harris O/A

there was no way to pull the toothbar back up, reasonably. i put a logging chain from the stick pin down to the center tooth adaptor and ratcheted down til i got nervous about the chain holding together and probably didn't pull the toothbar up 1/8th inch.

as far as 25 lbs goes...not misunderstood at all...the entire rearward length (36") of the toothbar was beveled down far enough to match the bevel on the pan (approx 3/8" material beveled to within 1/8" of back side) and those corner adapters had a hefty bevel on them as well...top (about 4 passes to fill and cap it off) and bottom (more of a fillet weld where the thich toothbar meets the thinner pan i made 5 or 6 passes to tie it together--may have been overkill but...). then the sides of the toothbar where the new material for the side plates was attatched beyond the corner adapters had a bevel there as well. from the front of the bevel on the adapter to the back edge of the toothbar was probably 14". i've added a pic of the side after tacking in place and before any material was added for the side plates.

to give an idea of how much more "beef" a genuine cat bucket has, i posted about a year ago where i replaced a corner adapter on a 48" bucket for the same machine and it took 10 lbs of 1/8" rods to build up enogh to match the worn down factory welds on the opposite side. that corner adapter not only slid onto the toothbar, but was notched along the top to slide under the side plate. maybe some of that nonsensical, hard to follow description above helps paint a picture

try looking here for that post... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=12863

that's the bucket that i was inside welding uphill and trying really hard to concentrate and my little boy walked up and hit it about three times with a 20 oz hammer i felt like i was in the liberty bell there for minute...........

i'd love to see some pictures of your project as you move along with it. i may be able to give some hard earned humble advice.......like don't let it roll down onto your toes or don't lean over it with a sweat drenched t-shirt on right after cutting on it for half an hour -- leaves more of a steam burn than anything else. i guess the sweat kind of cools it enough as to not blister too bad...ouch!...LOLOLOLOL.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enough babbling! kinda slow here at the hospital tonight, just glad to have someone to talk fun stuff with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

You made a good decision to replace the metal on the side cutters. The repair looks good and should hold up a while but I'm just curios why you didn't hard-face the bucket at least the tooth-bar the shanks and the lower sides of the bucket. It seems like this bucket is like many of ours and sees some pretty extreme duty digging in very abrasive aggregates.