Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default another 320 cat bucket

I'VE BEEN GONE AWHILE WORKIN ON MY OLD HOUSE (1850s). COUPLE DAYS AGO THE SAME COMPANY THAT HAD ME FIX THEIR LAST "OOPS" CALLED ME ABOUT 0630 AND SAID WE GOT YOU ANOTHER ONE. JUST THOUGHT I'D POST A FEW PICS FOR Y'ALLS VIEWING PLEASURE.................I'M GONNA TRY BEVELING THE SIDES OF THE CORNER ADAPTERS AND THE REST OF THE FRACTURES ALL THE WAY BACK TO THEIR ORIGINS AND THEN PUTTING SOME 1/2" CHAIN RATCHET BINDERS ON TO TRY TO PULL THE TOOTHBAR BACK UP. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK WE'LL HAVE TO GO TO FULL BLOWN SURGERY AND CUT THE TOOTHBAR LOOSE AND REPLACE IT IN THE PROPER POSITION. OF COURSE I'LL BE PUTTING SOME STRAPS AROUND THE CORNERS BEFORE I CALL IT OVER. LONG WEEKEND FOR THE WEEKEND WARRIOR. I'D RATHER DO THIS KIND OF STUFF THAN EAT HOME MADE ICE CREAM! AT LEAST MY HEAD WILL BE CLEAR BEFORE I GO BACK TO THE ER MONDAY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    I'VE BEEN GONE AWHILE WORKIN ON MY OLD HOUSE (1850s). COUPLE DAYS AGO THE SAME COMPANY THAT HAD ME FIX THEIR LAST "OOPS" CALLED ME ABOUT 0630 AND SAID WE GOT YOU ANOTHER ONE. JUST THOUGHT I'D POST A FEW PICS FOR Y'ALLS VIEWING PLEASURE.................I'M GONNA TRY BEVELING THE SIDES OF THE CORNER ADAPTERS AND THE REST OF THE FRACTURES ALL THE WAY BACK TO THEIR ORIGINS AND THEN PUTTING SOME 1/2" CHAIN RATCHET BINDERS ON TO TRY TO PULL THE TOOTHBAR BACK UP. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK WE'LL HAVE TO GO TO FULL BLOWN SURGERY AND CUT THE TOOTHBAR LOOSE AND REPLACE IT IN THE PROPER POSITION. OF COURSE I'LL BE PUTTING SOME STRAPS AROUND THE CORNERS BEFORE I CALL IT OVER. LONG WEEKEND FOR THE WEEKEND WARRIOR. I'D RATHER DO THIS KIND OF STUFF THAN EAT HOME MADE ICE CREAM! AT LEAST MY HEAD WILL BE CLEAR BEFORE I GO BACK TO THE ER MONDAY
    Looks like you got your work cut out for you. Just a question. Did they bring the whole machine? I have some farm equipment and have done some stupid things and after grinding, etc, I was able to use the machine to apply pressure to move my goof up back into place prior to welding. Saved a lot of chain and binder work.

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

NAW MAN! THE MACHINE WAS STILL ON SITE AND THE BUCKET WAS AT THEIR SHOP/YARD. I PICKED IT UP N/C. THAT'S ONE THING THEY LIKE ABOUT ME. I'LL ALSO BRING IT BACK N/C. I HAVE ANOTHER OPTION...I HAVE A HYD CYL ABOUT A 5" BORE x 24" STROKE. I CAN WELD A COUPLE HOOKS OR THE LIKE AND USE MY TRACTORS HYDRAULICS TO TRY AND PULL IT BACK. I HAVE A STRANGE FEELING THAT IT'LL HAVE TO BE CUT APART AND PUT BACK. I'LL BE SURE TO POST SOME PICS OF THE PROCESS.
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Save yourself the time and trouble of trying to pull it back. We just had the bottom collapse on our bucket for our hitachi 450. We had the machine at the shop and we still found it easier to cut the plate out and reweld, add some wear pads and hard-face.

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    I HAVE A HYD CYL ABOUT A 5" BORE x 24" STROKE. I CAN WELD A COUPLE HOOKS OR THE LIKE AND USE MY TRACTORS HYDRAULICS TO TRY AND PULL IT BACK. I HAVE A STRANGE FEELING THAT IT'LL HAVE TO BE CUT APART AND PUT BACK. I'LL BE SURE TO POST SOME PICS OF THE PROCESS.
    that's the engineering i'm talkin about!
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

Quote Originally Posted by Agcadmin1 View Post
    Save yourself the time and trouble of trying to pull it back. We just had the bottom collapse on our bucket for our hitachi 450. We had the machine at the shop and we still found it easier to cut the plate out and reweld, add some wear pads and hard-face.
    What he said. You'll waste more time trying to get it back in shape than you would just to cut it out and replace it. The metal around the tooth bar is already weakened and worn from being bent. Find out what kind of digging they do, then add the proper hardfacing pattern.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default it got cut off

i went ahead and cut the toothbar off last night. i think it's gonna make a much cleaner and better repair to do it like that. i will probably post some pics tomorrow when i get to the hospital. that's where i go to rest -- feed the cows, feed the goats, feed the pigs, the chickens, work on the old house, cut the field, cut the grass!
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Default more pics

the tooth bar is off and the scrap metal is cut from it. i've started beveling everything in prep for reassembly. i'll be cutting the side plates out 2 inches or so above the failed welds/cracks (straight cuts and rounded in the corners) and replacing with t-1 or grade 50, 100% welded back in, and probably strapped around to the bottom of the tooth bar (wyo?) just to give it a little more support. NO my shop is not air conditioned nor is it safe to occupy haha!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

I've often wondered about forcing busted sections back into position to weld. Seems to me that if it is anything tougher than mild steel you would be locking in stresses that are trying to pull your welds apart even before the owner puts the part to work again. Cutting and welding as you're doing seems like the way to go.

it makes you wonder sometimes how the operator of the machine can realy break stuff sometimes.