Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Pocketbike Chain Guard

Well, since this is the automotive and motorsports section, thought I'd post up a little project i did for one of my bikes.

I ride and repair pocketbikes as a hobby. One of my bikes, The Rat, is a pint-sized ratbike, with various fun features such as an Altoids can air cleaner, DuPont spraypaint can muffler, dremel wrench killswitch cover, and a custom seat made from sheet metal, stick-on neoprene pad and supported by a cutdown office keyboard track. Here's a shot of the entire bike, showing most of the stuff I just listed:

Well, I was fooling around in the garage, and happened to think that The Rat needed something more, something totally custom that I KNEW no one had done before on a pocketbike, something that would really make a statement. I had a bunch of those old "flat-bar" wrenches laying around, and decided that several of them welded together would make a neat one-off chain guard for the bike. Second pic shows some of the wrenches laying near the front wheel - that top wrench on the chain guard is a 19mm/22mm wrench from a Yamaha tool kit.

In the first picture, you can see the old chain guard - not real exciting, just some cheap thin flat metal bent to shape. My new chain cover doesn't wrap around the bottom of the chain like the original one does, but offers some heavy-duty protection because of the thickness of the steel. Those cheapy ones get torn up pretty good when the chain breaks .....

While I was at it, I drilled another wrench and used it for a rear brake bracket:

Lightbulb Wandering Minds

Well now you can carry your tools with you. The only problem I see you need a tool to get to your tools.
    Where do you have the kitchen sink.?
    That bike is a good example of "Alternative Recycling".

Well, when I first got the bike as an $80.00 craigslist special, it had been sorely abused. The previous owner had been using a street bike for an off-road bike, and had messed up a lot of stuff on it: fairings were thoroughly trashed, pegs broken off, covered in oily dirt, parts missing, and so on. Good thing was, the engine still fired, so I paid the guy off and brought it home.

Now, I COULD have gone ahead and restored the bike to original condition, but it would have been expensive. Just a new set of fairings alone cost $50.00, plus shipping and handling. (When you consider that these little things only cost about $170 brand-new, that's a lot for just the fairings!) Instead, I decided NOT to restore the bike to original condition, wanting to do something truly unique and fun during the rebuild. I was going to rebuild it ratbike-style, using whatever I had laying around to repair it. (All of the visible work is cosmetic only - The Rat can be restored to original condition at any time .... but why do that?) Nothing was ever really planned to be put on the bike, except for the modifications I did on the engine - everything else was kind of "spur of the moment" stuff, like the Altoids air cleaner and the DuPont spraycan muffler. The chain guard was something I'd had in the back of my mind for a while, and when I finally got decent at welding - I'd had the welder for four months previous - I finally decided it was about time to do a custom piece that would really set off the ratbike theme.

As for the spare tools, I do have a tiny "saddlebag" (not on the bike right now) that used to be the pouch for an XM radio. It's just big enough to hold a mini-ratchet, a couple of small screwdrivers, and another Altoids can full of Allen wrenches and spare bolts.

More pictures and a full description of everything done to the bike can be found on my thread at PocketBikePlanet.com. Here's the link:
    http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f82/...ari-42931.html