Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Post Another Miller Big 40 ?

Hi all I was reading on another post on a Big 40

But did not want to chime in on that post with a question of my own

I just bought a used Big 40 my self and I bought it with its problems
    It does not produce an arc or generate any power I was told by one of the local repair shops that it needed to have the brushes and armature cleaned, the gentleman I bought it from told me it was welding when it was stored and set up for 3-4 years it looks like a well used machine but also stored in side as well but I guess thatís nether here nor there
    I was looking for the owners manual here by using the search and serial number but does not come up with anything I did notice that in small print under the sn# it said replacement name plate.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what steps I need to do in order to get a manual and parts list in order to be able to go through it and repair it also any leads on where I can find parts for such an old machine.

Thanks in advance
    AKA CrazyHorse!

Default Owner's Manual

You can still download an owner's manual without the serial number. Try to find one on the machine, though, and it would be more specific.

What year, or how old is your Big 40? What engine, gas or diesel?

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default Big 40

It's a 1971 with gas engine.

It's very possible it does need the slip rings dressed with an armature stone and field flashed again.
    When the machine sits for so long, it can lose it's residual magnetism on the rotor. This is needed to start the generation of power.
    Flashing the field can be done with a 12 volt battery on the 2 exciter rings of the armature. Make sure you get the polarity correct.

Here's a link to the manual
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o450n_mil.pdf

Wire 5 and 6 on the exciter rings. Wire 5 is the POSITIVE.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

Default Big 40

thanks for all your help guys i will have to order the printed copy for miller
    my i-net provider really eats turd being i only have dialup and it just won't cut the mustard cant even down load a simpel manual because it is so
    slow and always a problem but what do you do cant afford the 1000 $ set up for my area for high speed let alone a 100$ a month for their service

but thank you for your kind help.

CrazyHorse!

Default Thanks Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ASKANDY View Post
    It's very possible it does need the slip rings dressed with an armature stone and field flashed again.
    When the machine sits for so long, it can lose it's residual magnetism on the rotor. This is needed to start the generation of power.
    Flashing the field can be done with a 12 volt battery on the 2 exciter rings of the armature. Make sure you get the polarity correct.

Here's a link to the manual
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o450n_mil.pdf

Wire 5 and 6 on the exciter rings. Wire 5 is the POSITIVE.

Hope this helps.
    Andy
    Thank you Andy the info provided was an enormous help my miller big 40 is up and running / welding great. Now i've got to find me a trailer to lug the big ole thing around with. LOL!

Thanks Again!

CH