Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: voltage sensing

I know this is an old thread but maybe we will get it going again. How does the 8VS handle say 16ga to 1/4 metal in short arc with C25? Trying to decide if this is what I need for my Bobcat 225NT or is it better to buy something like a MM211. I only have generator power in shop.

Anybody??? Need some help here.

8VS is fine, just have to use a smaller diameter wire spool. No biggy, just find yourself a meter that reads Hertz (HZ) plugged into the 120 aux receptacle and make sure your engine is adjusted to read 62.5 hz

Do you have any experience running Smaller wire on one in short arc?

Default voltage sensing

I have run from .025 on up to 5/64 on TB 302 with the 12 vs extreme. No problems with short arc or spray. That feeder goes from the truck to the shop, in the shop I use it with XMT 450 Mpa. The enclosed wire case has protected wire from dirt and moisture. Can't say enough good things about it

Ok I did it, found a brand new miller vs8 at a good price. It will be a week or so before I'm back at the farm to give it a try. The fellows at the LWS say I have made a mistake as it will disappoint me on 1/4 or less steel since my Bobcat only goes down to 17volts on CV. O well I will see. Plan to run .035 solid wire at first to test it out. My research goes both ways but I plan to be patient and give it a try the numbers in the manuals say it should be fine. Any help on how to run it would be appreciated as to experience with size wire, settings, flux v. Solid wire. I'll report.

Gave it a good test today. .035 wire C25 gas. Set up was easy but took a while to get it tuned in as beads were ropy at first. Meter on suitcase seems inconsistent as one weld will show 17 volts and the next one 19 all at the same wire speed. Also volts can go as low as 14 even though machine dial only goes down to 17. Need some help,understanding this aspect. Over all it went fine for the first day of experience with the new 8VS. I think it is a keeper. Welding on 1/4 and 1/8 inch stuff, seems cold if anything rather than too hot that I expected.

Default voltage sensing

Remember that wire speed has nothing to do with voltage. And CTWD will cause variation in voltage. Just remember wire speed = amps; power source = voltage.

Thanks, I'm sure I will get it down with a little more practice.

Default voltage sensing

You will often find a voltage drop from the power source settings to the feeder on vs units. Trust the meters on the feeder. Especially on a bobcat in cv. Cv is tolerant of change of stickout, but as you get more consistent the voltage readings will become more stable. Not a very precise knob to set voltage on the bobcat, usually set voltage by "feel" if no meters on the feeder. If you need lower voltage than your bobcat wants to supply, try using thinner wire to lower the heat at a given voltage(030 or 023)