Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT thread 1999 Ford E 150 van rear axle replacement

I have this 1999 E 150 ford cargo van. A few years ago my right rear axle bearing went out and messed the axle up also. I had a shop do the work and it cost around $700. I needed it right away so I let them do it. Now it out again. Grrr. The van has 193,000 miles and the left side is still original and ok. I'm thinking what the he11. I called the same people who did the work and now it will be over $800. Crapola. So I decided to pull the axle myself and see if it is ruined again. It is. The bearings chewed into the axle shaft. The bearing has an outer race but no inner race. The roller bearings ride directly on a machined part of the axle. How dumb is that? So when the bearings go, so does the axle. It seems Ford no longer makes these axles. Aftermarket is your choice. If you can find the Ford axle, it's around $300. The $800 shop told me the axle was $350. I called Advance Auto for the **** of it and they can get me the aftermarket axle with bearing and seal for $159 plus tax by Dorman. . The rear end fluid is synthetic and about $20 a qt. Not sure how much it takes. With about a gazillion of these vans on the roads, why would Ford stop making axles for them.. Oh, BTW when I removed the axle and bearing that was destroyed, I put a magnet into the axle tube to recover all loose metal and bearings. I put all the bearings back into the outer race to make sure I had them all so they wouldn't get into the rest of the rear end and do more damage. Guess what? There were 4 bearings too many that the last repair people never got out. That's good work for ya. I'm sure some reading this drive Ford service vans. Thought I would share.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Default noise...

That rear should have been howling as the bearing fails, might want to drive with the windows open sometimes, why not go get one from a bone yard, open it up and replace the bearing, also i would be doing all the bearings on that unit, likely the carrier bearing are junk, also you can use 75w90 syntheic in that. Mobil one is about 7-8 a quart, if you overload this van i would do 75W140. If it has trac lock, be sure to add the friction modifier, if u do do a bearing replacement, besure to use timken bearings made in the Usa, if the bearings say anything else there junk, also if you do pinion bearings replace the pinion nut, and be sure to set the bearings using the rolling torque method.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Actually when I first heard the noise, it sounded like an exhaust pipe hitting the frame. very random noise. I have been under that van many times trying to track down the noise but couldn't find what was causing it. It sounded like it was coming from the right front wheel. I checked both front wheel bearings and seemed fine. Then I thought trans output bearing or driveshaft. All seem fine. I even put the rear on jackstands and heard nothing but of course there was no weight on the bearings at that time. Then I thought after the noise got worse, mayby the rear brake shoes were dragging and being noisy. At that time the noise had become a bump, hit, grind, and may squeal. I can understand the bearings bumping and grinding but the squeal I was thinking the outer race started to spin in the housing. It didn't. When I finally got to pulling off the rear tires and drums, I saw that I could lift the right rear axle up and down almost a 1/4 inch. Well, he11, there's your problem. I hope that's all. Some noises are hard to pinpoint. As far as the Mobile One lube..75w140..can you be more specific. Since I have a basic rear end, I understand I do not need the friction modifier, Thanks for your input.
    The bearing that was replaced was a Torrington. I am concerned with the bearing that comes in the kit. If it's Timken I feel ok.
    Last edited by monte55; 12-30-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

If you plan to keep the van I would look into replacing the entire axle.....sounds to me like it has a bent housing.
    I used to work with a guy that bought a new Dodge Dakota and always had front end issues.The dealer finally found out the the axle housing was not manufactured correctly.

With the mileage on it, l want to use it a bit longer and then get another van.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Default torrington

Torrington bearings are fine, something is wrong, either poorly installed, van severely overloaded, or most likely run low on axle oil, thoose bearings do not fail often, use 75w90. Syntheic gear oil, honestly 80w90 would be fine also. I would be checking the carrier bearings also.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25

Van is not overloaded. Carries hand tools, test instruments, a couple of tool boxes and parts etc. Probably no more than 6-700 lbs . What is the carrier bearing? When I pulled the cover, not much fluid came out...less than a pint but some was lost past the axle seal but still too low in my opinion. The cover and pinion were bone dry...no leaks there. left axle...dry. Maybe they didn't put enough lube in but it has lasted a few years even with the old parts they left in there. I mean the old bearing parts and metal shards
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Default fluid level....

Were the brake shoes covered in slime? I would bet the level was low and the outer bearings were not being lubes. Carrier bearings support the carrier(carrier holds the ring gear) pinion bearings are on the pinion, which the yoke slips on, then connects to driveshaft, i would bet the bearings are shot in the diff, if it were me i would either rebuild it, or get a boneeyard axle, that entire axle should cost no more than 250.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25

FYI, if you decide to get a replacement axle from a boneyard, the ones from the F-150 will work as well as the ones from the E-150 of similar years. The main running gear of the vans is based on the running gear of the pick-ups, so you don't have to specifically get one from a van for it to work. This would probably be a cheaper, faster, easier fix than trying to rebuild the one you have for the second time. Just be sure to check the gear ratio in the one you get as a replacement if you go that route. Try to get one with the same gear set as the original if you are satisfied with the mileage now.
    If you get a replacement axle, change oil, check the brakes, yada, yada, yada.

Being a racer and a trucker, Ive seen my share of parts failures. Im truck now has over 2 million on it. The rears are original but the bearings are not. Ive had many problems with so called mechanics half a$$ work. You have more problems looming from your description.

Get a different axle, open it up and look inside. Remember the axle does NOT have to come from the same model truck. Nearly all drag cars, no matter the brand, are using a Ford 9 inch rear. This is what would have been used in an older F150 or E150. They are very durable and adaptable. There are welders aplenty to weld mounts on the tubes to match your suspension. Get a nine inch and keep the truck for another 100k.

If I were to build a light duty truck the same as heavy trucks are, I would use a Ford rear and Dana front.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG