Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by khs1241 View Post
    Can the pulse feature be used on AC tig process, and is it effective? This is on a dynasty200 DX
    Pulse on AC is good for getting a nice consistent lap weld, especially on 1/8" and thinner aluminum. Keeps the heat input lower and the arc nice and focused. I usually run 300 pps, 33% background, 33% peak time and 225 HZ. Welds very nicely.

Default Dynast Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by khs1241 View Post
    Can the pulse feature be used on AC tig process, and is it effective? This is on a dynasty200 DX
    As a newer user to the Dynasty lineup and newer to TIG welding overall I've found the pulse settings extremely helpful with heat control. I use it with new materials that are thin as the guys stated above, pps range from 1 to 30, sometimes up to 50, but I havent found much benefit for me above 50, 33% across the board for the rest with freq from 125-225 depending on how wide or deep I'm wanting to go with it, however when using thicker materials I end up around 50% ontime and 40% background, freq from 95-225 depending, I've done a lot of repair on older Aluminum snowmobile trailers, when you can't clean inside the tube your welding its hard to not end up with porosity as you pound in the heat, it'll leach the junk through from the inside if you get it too hot. Even with the pulse it's a battle on these, a lot of people won't touch them for this reason, but with pulse I've have great success and happy customers. When doing fusion welds I found that between 1-6 PPS with slightly higher than 33% worked best for me and gave me the best look to the welds with filler rod in use I'd be more in the 15-30 pps and the percentages mentioned above.

I love my Dynasty 350, I wouldn't give it up for anything, I just got a push pull for my MM 252 so I'm anxious to give that a try and see how it works, but my dynasty is a beast with AL.

Cool Ls1712r torch compatability for dynasty 200dx

Quote Originally Posted by rdenis View Post
    i am looking for a new air torch for a dynasty 200 - i have conflicting info about whether the weldcraft ls1712r is compatible with the dynasty 200.

I can't find any specific info on the weldcraft site so maybe this torch model is discontinued.

Does anyone have any relevant information as to whether this torch will work or not?

Thanks in advance.
    i ended up with your problem about this and i went ahead and bought 1st one and couldnt get the plug in to work on my new dynasty so i sent it back for another and had same problem, so i looked it over real good and noticed the grove in the head was offset to much and if i forced it surely would have bent pins si i took and small points file and opened it up a touch , cause all you really need is for pins to match, it works fine now, if i can be of any other let me know , i hope this helps anyone else before buying this torch. I might have just got a bad batch, beenabean
    HOBART TIGMATE/DYNASTY 200DX/LINCOLN SP 180T/ HARRIS OX/ACETELENE

Default What current does your Dynasty display?

What current does your Dynasty display when using the pulse feature? I generally set the current higher than necessary and use the pedal to adjust it. I don't often look at the panel display . . . it doesn't display long enough . . . but I wanted to set the max current on a project and use a full pedal to make a consistent bead.

Setup:

Dynasty 300 DX
    DC
    panel - 100 amps
    full pedal
    frequency - 40 Hz
    peak current time - 40%
    background current - 40%

Machine displays 64 amps . . . so it displays average current.

40% x 100 amps = 40
    60% x 40 amps = 24
    total = 64
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Guys,
    i will be doing some research this weekend, but can you give me some starting parameters for the dynasty 350 on welding thick aluminum, 5/8" to 3/8" and 5/8" to 3?16" thick ?
    substrate is 6061 and will be using 3/32 4043 filler, and need a 1/4", .250" weld bead.
    thanks guys... we are currently using a syncrowave 350 and the local miller rep is lending us the dynasty for a week to see how we like it.
    thanks
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    Guys,
    i will be doing some research this weekend, but can you give me some starting parameters for the dynasty 350 on welding thick aluminum, 5/8" to 3/8" and 5/8" to 3?16" thick ?
    substrate is 6061 and will be using 3/32 4043 filler, and need a 1/4", .250" weld bead.
    thanks guys... we are currently using a syncrowave 350 and the local miller rep is lending us the dynasty for a week to see how we like it.
    thanks
    I do quite a bit of thick alum on my 350's, and here is what we settled on. Ditch the 3/32 4043 and get some of Maxal's new 4943 in 1/8" if you can. It wets like no tomarrow.

Argon 75%/Helium 25%(less helium with smaller sections down to no helium)
    1/8"/5/32"/3/16" filler rod Diameter depending on position
    1/8" diameter E3 or Rare Earth blend, or 2% lanthanated tungsten(don't ball back and let end glaze over on it's own)
    Gas lense with #8 cup, and 20 to 23 cfh gas flow
    Soft Square Wave(default)
    EN 350
    EP 320 to 350(less EP lessens the average and weakens the arc)
    Balance 70(Raise the balance to control balling back of tungsten)
    Freq. 100(120 constricts the arc a bit much for me)

You have 8 AC program stations, so don't hesitate to create new programs and test them against each other.

Have fun!
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I do quite a bit of thick alum on my 350's, and here is what we settled on. Ditch the 3/32 4043 and get some of Maxal's new 4943 in 1/8" if you can. It wets like no tomarrow.

Argon 75%/Helium 25%(less helium with smaller sections down to no helium)
    1/8"/5/32"/3/16" filler rod Diameter depending on position
    1/8" diameter E3 or Rare Earth blend, or 2% lanthanated tungsten(don't ball back and let end glaze over on it's own)
    Gas lense with #8 cup, and 20 to 23 cfh gas flow
    Soft Square Wave(default)
    EN 350
    EP 320 to 350(less EP lessens the average and weakens the arc)
    Balance 70(Raise the balance to control balling back of tungsten)
    Freq. 100(120 constricts the arc a bit much for me)

You have 8 AC program stations, so don't hesitate to create new programs and test them against each other.

Have fun!
    man, thanks so much for the info.
    we are pretty much stuck with the 4043 filler, since its a government job and thats what they want and what we certified to.
    im hoping when miller drops the dynasty off, that they have some variety of collets and cups. if not, i will probably spend some of my own money and get what you suggested, thats how bad i want to try the dynasty out.
    again, thanks for your time
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Default Dynsaty 350 EN/EP settings.

I am a new member and have a question about the EN/EP settings on the Dynasty 350. I went through welding school a couple of years ago, but don't have a lot of experience with AC tig. I work at a manufacturer of aluminum petroleum tankers and now have to take a test to be Department of Transportation certified. The test consists of a butt-joint, vertical up, both sides. The material is .194 aluminum 5056, with 1/8th 4043 filler rod. I was running practice plates, with great penetration. Then someone changed the EN/EP settings. We recently phased out all of the Synchrowaves and PrecisionTigs, so no one is familiar with the advance settings of the Dynasty. Can anyone give me a good starting point for this weld on this material?

Default specific setup info

Quote Originally Posted by 'Stang View Post
    I am a new member and have a question about the EN/EP settings on the Dynasty 350. I went through welding school a couple of years ago, but don't have a lot of experience with AC tig. I work at a manufacturer of aluminum petroleum tankers and now have to take a test to be Department of Transportation certified. The test consists of a butt-joint, vertical up, both sides. The material is .194 aluminum 5056, with 1/8th 4043 filler rod. I was running practice plates, with great penetration. Then someone changed the EN/EP settings. We recently phased out all of the Synchrowaves and PrecisionTigs, so no one is familiar with the advance settings of the Dynasty. Can anyone give me a good starting point for this weld on this material?
    There's a lot more to setting up a 350 than simply tweaking the EN/EP--
    --if one's goal is to become competent in setup; let alone in AL tig welding.

This link: http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/DynastyQuickRef.pdf
    will help-for very basic reference info.

The owner's manual, section 5, 'operation' deserves time and study.
    I've printed off 31 pages of it to help me in setting up the menu.
    The more time and effort you expend in learning the setup menus and effects
    of changes, the quicker you'll get up to speed.

Why?? not just state some specific parameters--that you've asked for??
    -a new AL tigger just really may not be able to use settings that an experienced tigger does
    -Old tranny tig machines and old style inverters have very limited options
    on arc tailoring. The 350 has an unlimited range---especially in AC.
    Experienced AL tiggers know what they're looking for as they tailor the arc.
    Low time AL tiggers-don't.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...uminum-Welding

Excerpted from my post in the link above:
    ****The most critical part your effort will be the operator, which often is not understood or acknowledged by management. As a 6 month old, new user (but not-new tigger) of the 350, I soon realized that everything I 'Knew' about setting up and running previous high power AC/DC inverters, squarewave trannies and conventional trannies--
    ---meant nothing when learning how to setup the 350. Using old set up techniques didn't produce the same arc
    characteristics. I was able to get 'okay' results, right off-first arc.....and then start the learning curve of the little details of 350 setups....just like every experienced user of the 350 has had to do.

(I didn't demo. the machine-first, which I normally always do--knowing from other user experiences and Miller's sheets, what it would and could do. Pay first-test drive, later.)

The 200 cannot independently adjust EN and EP amps in AC, while the 350 can. On heavy AL, this is a significant feature, which isn't recognized by many.

On thin AL, I don't think it matters as much, especially if one's pulsing in AC with high peak amps.

The 350 setup parameters are infinite--which is a real hoot and I'm thoroughly pleased and impressed with this machine. It continues to impress me, every day.

It takes time, practice and study of the Miller setup details in 30 pages of the owner's manual to be able to navigate the menus, sub menus, sub-sub menus and sub-sub-sub menus of the 350's panel.
    There's a bunch of ways to setup a 350 and get satisfactory results---some better than others.
    [The Miller tutorials are good for beginners, but very rudimentary.]
    An operator who has significant experience--knows what they're looking for in the arc and then proceeds to fiddle with the setup to get the desired arc characteristics-that they want.
    The 350 is not a machine for learning 'how to weld'.
    Last edited by dave powelson; 08-17-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: addition

Default Dynasty 350 EN/EP settings

Dave, Thanks for the advice. I'll try to download an owners manual from Miller. Being a factory, our company just put the new Dynastys on the floor. No one I know of ever saw the owner's manuals. I know enough about aluminum tigging to know when something is wrong-just don't know how to fix it on this machine. As you said, the adjustments are endless!