Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paulrbrown View Post
    Pictures would help, along with settings.....100 amps is enough to melt about anything......very strange.....looking forward to your response
    Weird! Yes, pix & setting would help.

I assume, DC, no pulse, good ground, clean. Try some stringers on another piece of known mild steel. Should be as easy as it gets.

Let us know. I'm very curious.
    : Keep Learning :
    You never know what you don't know.

Default Problem Solved

Quote Originally Posted by paulrbrown View Post
    Pictures would help, along with settings.....100 amps is enough to melt about anything......very strange.....looking forward to your response
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFix View Post
    Weird! Yes, pix & setting would help.

I assume, DC, no pulse, good ground, clean. Try some stringers on another piece of known mild steel. Should be as easy as it gets.

Let us know. I'm very curious.
    So when I got back to the shop some of the employees made off with the angle iron I was using, I grabbed another couple pieces and cleaned them good with a flap disc and ground directly to the work (was grounding to welding table before). Problems solved! So I'm guessing it was a bad ground, but now I've been able to run at 120-175 amps (I'm light on the pedal so I found that if I compensate by running a higher ceiling it makes it easier) without any issues. I've been finding that SS and AL are much more consistent, with steel there's more "variables" as you weld, other than that I've had no issues at all! Lovin the new Dynasty!

Question Spot setup on Dynasty 200DX question

The manual section "6-3 G Spot Control Operation" shows a graph where the current jumps up to the "Timed Spot Weld Amps", stays there for some period of time and then drops to 0. It indicates to Push & Hold Trigger to start and then to Release Trigger After Sport Time is Done. I have set my machine to this mode as follows:

- reset to factory defaults
    - set main amps to 120 (for this test)
    - enter Advanced menu by pressing Main Amps and Gas/Dig buttons at the same time
    - press the Gas/Dig to toggle to the rt option on the menu
    - turn the amp adjustment knob until the machine displays rt SPO
    - exit Advanced menu by pressing Main Amps and Gas/Dig buttons at the same time
    - set Output to RMT 2T HOLD

I have the machine connected to a foot pedal which I am using for a switch. If I depress the foot pedal just enough to close the switch I observe a full 120 amp blast of current which lasts for about 1 second. It then stops even though I am still depressing the pedal. So far, so good.

However, the manual says this is a "Timed" spot weld. Can I change the amount of time for which the arc is maintained? If so, how?

I read a post somewhere in this 19 page sticky which indicated that the spot time could be changed by pushing in on the amp control knob. That does nothing on this Dynasty 200. Perhaps the post referred to another sort of machine. Search only takes me to page 1 of this thread and I don't feel like looking through all 19 pages again.

Thanks,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by taylorkh View Post
    The manual section "6-3 G Spot Control Operation" shows a graph where the current jumps up to the "Timed Spot Weld Amps", stays there for some period of time and then drops to 0. It indicates to Push & Hold Trigger to start and then to Release Trigger After Sport Time is Done. I have set my machine to this mode as follows:

- reset to factory defaults
    - set main amps to 120 (for this test)
    - enter Advanced menu by pressing Main Amps and Gas/Dig buttons at the same time
    - press the Gas/Dig to toggle to the rt option on the menu
    - turn the amp adjustment knob until the machine displays rt SPO
    - exit Advanced menu by pressing Main Amps and Gas/Dig buttons at the same time
    - set Output to RMT 2T HOLD

I have the machine connected to a foot pedal which I am using for a switch. If I depress the foot pedal just enough to close the switch I observe a full 120 amp blast of current which lasts for about 1 second. It then stops even though I am still depressing the pedal. So far, so good.

However, the manual says this is a "Timed" spot weld. Can I change the amount of time for which the arc is maintained? If so, how?

I read a post somewhere in this 19 page sticky which indicated that the spot time could be changed by pushing in on the amp control knob. That does nothing on this Dynasty 200. Perhaps the post referred to another sort of machine. Search only takes me to page 1 of this thread and I don't feel like looking through all 19 pages again.

Thanks,

Ken
    section 6-6 of the manual

"Turn encoder to turn Spot on and off. Once on exist set-up and press Amperage control switch pad twice and turn encoder to set spot time."

There might be a time limit in which you have to press the Amperage switch pad twice to activate the Spot Time
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks Broccoli1,

Section 6-6 in MY manual (dated 2012-10) describes Stick Open-Circuit Voltage selection.

I did a search withing the manual pdf for "set spot time" and found it in section 5-14! It states
    Select Spot function according to Section 6-3G.

Set spot parameters as follows: Press Amperage switch pad once (meter A LED turns on) and turn Encoder to set spot amperage. Press Amperage switch pad again, (meter S LED lights) and turn Encoder to set spot time (.1−25 seconds). Factory default setting is 1 second.

Application: To provide a timed weld. Used for tacking, and thin sheet joining.
    I guess I am supposed to read the manual backwards as well as forwards. This is the most disorganized manual I have ever seen. I would have expected at least a cross reference from 6-3 G back to 5-14.

Well at least I have some directions to go by. I will give it a try after supper. And document the exact steps. I don't think pressing the Amperage switch alone exits the advanced settings mode so perhaps it is putting the machine in some other hidden mode.

Thanks again,

Ken

OK, so here is MY Timed Spot setup instruction for Dynasty 200 DX welders covered by the 2010-10 manual. My machine was manufactured in 2011 by the serial number. Machines of any other vintage - who knows...

Notes: I am starting these instructions from the factory default machine settings. I suspect that many custom configurations can be set concurrently but I have not explored the unintended consequences between settings (yet).
    - This document should be applicable in part to the Dynasty 350 and 700 but I don't have access to one of these to test at the moment.
    - The button below the "Encoder Control" knob is labeled A MAIN/PEAK on the 200 and A on the 350/700. I will call it the AMP button - less typing
    - The ADJUST button on the 200 is labeled GAS/DIG on the 350/700.
    - Press means to press and release the button. I will explicitly indicate the need to press and HOLD a button.

1 - Power on the machine and immediately press and hold the PROCESS, OUTPUT and ADJUST buttons. Release the buttons when the display shows --- 150. The machine is now at factory default. DC TIG, HF Impulse, STD RMT at 150 main amps.
    2 - Press the AMP button and the ADJUST button at the same time. The machine is now ready to set advanced features.
    3 - Set the tungsten size using the Encoder knob. This controls the starting parameters for the machine. It is applicable to ALL modes of TIG operation.
    4 - Press the ADJUST button until rt 2t is displayed.
    5 - Turn the Encoder knob until rt SPO is displayed. The machine is now set to spot mode.
    6 - Press the AMP and ADJUST buttons at the same time. The machine is now back in operating mode (out of "set advanced features" mode)
    7 - Press the OUTPUT button to set the machine to RMT 2T HOLD. This setting should really be called "run the advanced mode I just finished setting up." rt SPO will display BRIEFLY. The display will then return to --- 150.
    8 - Set the desired spot welding amps using the Encoder control.

Note: The SPOT amps setting is the same as the peak amps setting in the RMP STD output mode. If you change the amps in RMT STD and then switch back to SPOT mode the RMT STD amps are used for SPOT.

9 - Press the AMP button. The display will show SPO 1.0. This indicates that the spot time is set to 1 second.
    10 - Adjust the spot time as desired using the Encoder knob. This value will be remembered.
    11 - Press the AMP button to save the value. The machine is now ready to spot weld.

But it gets better...

12 - Press the POLARITY button to switch the machine to AC. Observer that the displayed amps may change. The amps value displayed is the default value for AC amps.
    13 - Press the AMP button. The machine will display SPO 1.0 again. The machine saves a separate spot time for AC and DC.
    14 - Turn the encoder control to set the desired AC spot time.
    15 - Press the AMP button to save the setting.

Default Bumping Anodized Pipe with 200DX

Does anyone weld anodized pipe with a Dynasty 200? I have a dynasty 300, but I'm looking for a mobile solution to plug into TB 302. I love my 300, just not sure if the 200 has the guts to bump weld anodized pipe. Seems like the amps would need to be run at max, and the duty cycle limited to 20%.
    The other option is high freq box on trailblazer.
    I would appreciate any input!
    -Mark
    Mark Thompson
    Arc Tech Welding

Default Dynasty200 Question.

Can the pulse feature be used on AC tig process, and is it effective? This is on a dynasty200 DX

Quote Originally Posted by khs1241 View Post
    Can the pulse feature be used on AC tig process, and is it effective? This is on a dynasty200 DX
    What are you trying to accomplish? I use it on casting repair to agitate the puddle . . . helps float out the contaminants. It might not be as useful on the 200 DX as it reduces effective maximum current.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Default DYnasty Processes-set up

Was utilizing the website admin. to resolve it. She will need to have worked that out using Andy, considering that the link in which Andy posted may be the one My spouse and i was trying to link for you to.