Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 LastLast

So based opon what your say what do you think about this Makita GeneratorMax. Output Current: 12,000W/100ARated Output Current: 9,500W/83.3AVolts AC (60Hz): 120/240Volts DC (AMPS): 12 (8.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron954rr View Post
    So based opon what your say what do you think about this Makita GeneratorMax. Output Current: 12,000W/100ARated Output Current: 9,500W/83.3AVolts AC (60Hz): 120/240Volts DC (AMPS): 12 (8.3)
    9,500W/83.3AVolts AC (60Hz): 120/240Volts DC (AMPS): 12 (8.3) ??? confusing...

am assuming that is a typo on your part.. AND that you forgot to include 240vac continuios wattage withoult voltage drop.... otherwise

You seem to be in the ballpark... but I would call Miller Tech support and ask them.... It is just too expensive a machine to expirement with.... if they give the go ahead and assure you that the warrantee is in full effect... then I would consider going further... not before....
    Look at the Dynasty as a delicate electronic instrument as far as feeding it... would also call the genset manufacturer and ask them...
    Know I am extra cautious.... but I want no part in blowing up somebodys machine.... call Tech Support..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Yeah my bad on the typo... Thanks for your help and maybe Ill plug it in to the maxstar 350 at work first it's Bechtel's, and save mine

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron954rr View Post
    Yeah my bad on the typo... Thanks for your help and maybe Ill plug it in to the maxstar 350 at work first it's Bechtel's, and save mine
    sure hope that was a joke... otherwise the ethics stink...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Just a joke bro...guess I should of added lol

Default Miller Already Has It.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
    Andy, If there is not going to be a Dynasty 200 book in the near future, how about a Cheat Sheet/Quick Reference Guide.
    You know something that says what all the buttons do, and how to get into the hidden menu and stuff like that.
    I was thinking of doing something like that and laminate it, so you can store it under the welder.
    But it would be better if you did it.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Miller already has a Quick Reference, Part#248988.
    All this time and all I had to do was look.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

The output waveforms of conventional generators are pure sine wave. Inverter generators might be different in waveform. Not a good idea to run an inverter welder off an inverter power supply since power factor rating on the welder is based on pure sine.

Most generators sold in stores are 2-pole rotors and run at 3600 RPM. But most important is the excitation of the rotor is through brushes and slip rings. If the slip rings arc, this can make an output spike. Rotor current is regulated for control of output and is proportional to output current so they are most likely to arc under higher loads. If driving a motor or resistance load, damage isn't likely. Inverter welders? Don't chance it.

Better generators run 4-pole rotors and run at 1800 RPM. Even better are those which use brushless excitation. That is the kind I have experience with running my 200DX. Mine is a military surplus MEP-002A, rated for 5 kW but capable of 9 kW before frequency drops as it has a 70 cubic inch Onan diesel. 52 amps at 120 VAC, 26 amps 240 and 17.3 amps in 208 3-phase. Since the Dynasty can use it, I run in that mode.

I've run it at 200 amps SMAW with no problems. Yes, it responds to the load (around 8 kVA) without more than 0.50 Hz variation (unloaded, 60.5, loaded 60). During my last project, it consumed less than two gallons in 6 hours.

Default Dynasty 200 DX hidden menu

My first post here. I bought my Dynasty 200 DX Mar, '11 and until very recently have not used it except for a short TIG weld to verify that it worked at all. I'm now needing to use the machine for some stick welding. I'm trying to access the "hidden menu" to change the "low" OCV setting to "high" OCV setting. Thus far I have not been able to open the hidden menu at all.

I'm following directions (I think) in the written owners manual that came with the machine. Obviously I'm doing something wrong as the menu remains hidden. Great name for it by the way............

Any suggestions? It's probably worth mentioning that I'm very "old school" so most anything made after transformers and tubes is rather challenging to me! Heck, anything that involves the flow of electrons is a challenge!!

I did try a search for "hidden menu" on this forum but it came up with nothing....

Thanks in advance, Dave

Default Hidden menu?

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I have been lobbying for that book for years.... think we will be waiting.... for a while longer

But for beginners on these machines there is a setup video that Miller posted on Youtube.... it covers the basics pretty well... and is free....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73S7fBStsY
    This is a very helpful video for a Dynasty newbie such as myself. Thanks for giving the link. I'm still trying to find out how to access the (well) hidden menu..

Thanks again, Dave

Default Part way there now another question

Thanks to the short (4+ min) Miller Dynasty menu setup video I got the hidden menu mastered. Stick welding with normal OCV is just like welding with my old Miller Syncrowave 300. So what is the reason for the low OCV setting? Less current draw by the machine? And if normal OCV is selected is there any further advantage to using the DIG setting?