Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Hi, I just purchased a used miller thunderbolt 225, thinking it was a AC DC welder. It turned out to be a AC constant current only. Is it possible to tig weld this machine or am I stuck with a buzz box only. I'm not sorry I bought it, it welds great.

Wrong thread Bro- this is for the Dynasty Series machines

Just start a new thread so you'll get some hits
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    Are their ways to improve the starts on an old 200DX?
    Please BUMP?

Are their ways to improve the starts on an old 200DX?
    I think the answer is "No"; there was a thread when the new model was released and it left folks that had just purchased the "old" model SOL.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

KB did write this though..

"I could probably help if you would give a little better explanation of your HF problem. The Dynasty's are sensitive in respect to the tig start parameters so it may be as simple as changing a couple of the settings via hidden menu.
    "

but I still can't find a post on what those changes are
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    KB did write this though..

"I could probably help if you would give a little better explanation of your HF problem. The Dynasty's are sensitive in respect to the tig start parameters so it may be as simple as changing a couple of the settings via hidden menu.
    "

but I still can't find a post on what those changes are
    Neither can I, I know I read something about adjustments for the older machines.

My 200DX is having some intermittent issues of starting at lower power levels. Like when I want to just ease the power on as apposed to the arc just POPPING on. This is most apparent while in AC mode

... on that note I did find one where he said to go in to the Hidden menu and reset the Start amps to say 5amps for thin wall AL.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Neither can I, I know I read something about adjustments for the older machines.

My 200DX is having some intermittent issues of starting at lower power levels. Like when I want to just ease the power on as apposed to the arc just POPPING on. This is most apparent while in AC mode
    What you have to do is go into your start parameter hidden menu. From there you need to set the start amperage to something relatively high like 100 amps. Also, make sure that with AC you have start set to electrode positive. Otherwise, you will struggle to establish the arc. Then, make sure you set the start time to be somewhat proportional to the start amperage. For a 100 amp start, I would begin in the 10 to 20 milliamp range and work your way from there. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get a good start with the older model 200's. It just takes a little richarding around.
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 11-21-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Thanks KB that is what I was looking for.

Thanks KB that is what I was looking for.
    You are welcome my friend.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302