Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller 185 with pro star gun Trouble need help

I just bought this Miller 185 used, First couple passes worked great,
    Tried to use it this morning . The Wire with out the trigger being pulled melted as soon as I touch the steel, melts all the way to the end of the tip.
    any ideas on this , is the gun bad, Can I open I up and repair it. Is something in the machine bad..
    I need to know, it might get returned or have the guy give me one of his other guns.
    Thanks

Sounds like the contactor may be stuck in the closed position.

Thank you for the help , but I do not know what a contractor is other than the guy that works on my house.
    I have thought it might be a relay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Sounds like the contactor may be stuck in the closed position.

Retract this info below, thought I was looking at relay schematic on cover or machine, it is not..

Ok I am looking at the relay schematic and it appears that the 37 wire and the 38wire are reversed at the relay.
    Also the number 1 terminal on the relay side is missing. It looks like someone took that wire and directly attached it to a yellow wire coming from below.
    does any of this make since why someone would do this or was it a mistake?
    in other wards should I just switch the wires on the relay and try it, I do not want to fry anything.
    Thanks

so after a conversation with miller, It looks like they agree, it is the contactor.
    I did remove the small cover on it and cleaned up the tabs, but is still did not work, So I ordered one, we will see if that fixes it.

Pony,
    I have a MM185 that I purchased new in the late nineties. If you like, I'll pop the cover tomorrow and have a look at the wiring and see if what you wrote in post #4 is correct.

Thank you that would be great
    Also I spoke with the guy I bought it from he said it the inside has not been touched in the 8 years he has had it.

Pony,
    Took a look inside my machine today and took a picture of the relay and contactor. When you say you pulled the cover off and cleaned the terminals, I'm assuming you mean the relay? The relay is the small "cube" in the upper left and the contactor is the large copper terminaled item to the right. With the machine off and unplugged, you should be able to depress the spring loaded center section of the contactor. If not, then Danny would be correct and the contactor is stuck. With the machine plugged in and on, you should see the relay and the contactor pull in(energize) when you pull the trigger. The fact that it worked when you first got it tells me the wiring placement is not the issue. The schematics in the owners manuals leave a lot to be desired. If you're still having problems after replacing the contactor, post your serial number and hopefully Cruizer can lead you to the problem. Hope this bit of info is helpful. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No it was the contactor that I pulled the cover off of, It has 2 small screws and them it comes off and you can see the clips. I cleaned them but no go.
    I will look at the relay and contactor when the trigger is pulled and when it is first turned on and see if the react differently.
    Thanks for the help

guess what , I pushed in the contactor tab it did not move more that a 16th of an inch, I looked at the relay and say it working at least I way one contact move.

As I was looking at the contactor, I kept pulling the trigger on and off and all of the sudden the contactor tab moved in like 1/4 of and inch and then released.
    So I checked the wire and no sparky...
    So it looks like it was the contactor and the cleaning helped but the tabs did not seat well.
    Bummer I just got confirmation that my new contactor is on the way.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Brad