Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gooseneck plate to frame... Stick or Mig?

I have a MM 175 or Trailblazer 301g

The plate is 1x8 inches will be welding to the side areas of frame not top.

Quote Originally Posted by joulian View Post
    I have a MM 175 or Trailblazer 301g

The plate is 1x8 inches will be welding to the side areas of frame not top.
    No brainer. Stick. You don't have enough machine to wire weld.

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    No brainer. Stick. You don't have enough machine to wire weld.

Griff

Yea thats what I was leaning towards. Got everything prepped for tomorrow to weld in-place. What size rods would you recommend? I don't weld 1" enough to be familiar.

out of curiosity what size mig would one need to weld something that thick and if I had one that big , then which would be preferred mig or stick?

Thanks for input...

Neither one. Weld clips to the 8" flat and bolt it I to the web of the chassis
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

These questions make me wonder if you should be welding to a frame. Why can't you bolt it on? What type of vehicle is this going on?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Bolting it would be a better bet

Every gooseneck or 5th wheel hitches I've seen are all bolted on. Now if you do weld it on, I would still put a couple of bolts as a mechanical safety

Normally some preheat would be part of the plan for one inch. Especially when there is such a disparity in thicknesses. Seems like any amp setting high enough to get good depth of fusion on one inch would be likely to turn the relatively thin frame material to crispy bacon like material.

Sound like u have no idea what he doing . Just pay and have the gooseneck plate installed by professional.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

I got it. I loaded up dump trailer and 5 cubic yards of top soil and went around the block braking and accelerating. Its ok

Thanks for the input guys. I was intending on sticking it but someone I know mentioned mig and I started questioning myself... anyway..

The rods were actually burning into the 1" plate faster than the frame.
    Its on a Dodge 3/4 ton

Quote Originally Posted by eecervantes83 View Post
    Sound like u have no idea what he doing . Just pay and have the gooseneck plate installed by professional.
    Last edited by joulian; 09-21-2014 at 04:42 PM.