Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Weld Cart Just Got an Upgrade.

Here is my cart with the latest addition.

This was a tough decision to make. The Passport Plus or the 211. I ended up with the 211 since it has just a little more in the top end. The price was considerably less, allowing me to try the spool gun on aluminum. It does weigh in heavier but I can live with that. Now I don't know enough about the Passport feature ( soft arc/ crisp arc ), but the 211 does not have that option.

Even tho the cart was not built for this welder, it only took a few minutes to make things right. Per opening the door.

I only had time for a couple quick welds, but I just couldn't unpack it and not use it at all. The A.S. seemed a little hot but that is probably just me. I didn't buy it for that feature but it may be handy for a quick little weld here and there.

In this pick, can you see the low pressure side of the regulator? When I weld it drops to 15 and when I release the trigger it slowly rises to the max. The old cheep HF regulator didn't do this unless I really turned up the flow. Over 25. I dont think this is normal but maybe someone can enlighten me on this topic.

Almost forgot the spool gun.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Did you set the gas as per the owner's manual? Release the wire feed clamp so wire doesn't feed, and adjust the cfh while the trigger is pulled. Quick and doesn't waste an appreciable amount of gas.

I did notice that my regulator went high also but this was after turning the tank off. Easy fix. Turned my machine on and bumped the trigger. This was enough to drop the regulator to 0.

Thanks Old Sporty,

I did read the manual but it didn't tell me anything special to do. It just says like you did release the tension on the wire to set flow. Normal starting point is 20 ish. I did set it with the gas flowing but when I am off the trigger and watch, it will slowly rise until its pegged.

As far as the needle going high right before the gas runs out, well my old reg did that. I just didn't really like the idea of the high reading while the bottle is on and I am not welding.

FYI the time stamp in my pics is not correct, and someday I will take the time to fix the camera.
    Last edited by tom37; 08-08-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: I just had a small brain fart and forgot something.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

The reg going high like that seems like the valve in the regulator is not doing its job and shutting off, since it is new I would take the regulator right back to the store or call Miller and get it replace (should cost you nothing at this point). But that is not right for that regulator, I own 2 of that style and neither does that.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Well, if this is in fact a bad regulator, then we've both got them. I will try the regulator from the unit I'm returning and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then I'll call Miller tomorrow and find out what's going on. With the damage trouble I've had getting my MM211, I'm not going to be real happy if this new machine has to go in the shop for repairs.

I switched regulators, and now the pressure in the low side does not climb either when the machine is idling or shut off. Must have been a bad batch of regulators from Smith.

Tom37 - I guess you'll need to get your vendor to trade it out for you.

Thank You engnerdan, I didn't think it was right but I wanted a couple views, before I went back to the LWS. Thinking now I believe that I will also call customer support as Old Sporty did. Thank you also Sporty.

I didn't have time today to play. Priority's came into play, I had to hang banners for the Kansas City ****** Cancer walk. I never realized it but 25 to 30 thousand persons in one place is A LOT of people. And not one of them had anything less then a big smile on there face. Anyways I will find time to check the 211 out later this week.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

Exclamation Bad Regulator !!

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Thank You engnerdan, I didn't think it was right but I wanted a couple views, before I went back to the LWS. Thinking now I believe that I will also call customer support as Old Sporty did. Thank you also Sporty.

I didn't have time today to play. Priority's came into play, I had to hang banners for the Kansas City ****** Cancer walk. I never realized it but 25 to 30 thousand persons in one place is A LOT of people. And not one of them had anything less then a big smile on there face. Anyways I will find time to check the 211 out later this week.
    Tom Hello;

Yep, You have a bad regulator.
    Congrats on volunteering for such a great cause !!

........... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

very very nice

Default Mm211

I am also thinking about getting the 211. Let me know how you like it, I have only heard good things. I really like the option of 120 and 240 cause I dont think I will have 240 most of the time, but I only plan on using it for small projects.

Good looking cart by the way, it will be my first of many projects hopefully.