Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

congrats on the torch.
    be shore to give us all a report on the propylene fuel. O/A may start to get too expensive and force us all to find other options, but for now i like having the option to weld as well as cut and heat. but if $ change too much i may have to let my welders do the welding.
    any one know if you can retro fit a torch to run other gases?? or do you have to start over if you change gases??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Propylene!!

I have never heard of that. It amazes me what I learn from here Always used acetylene and used propane for some heating, soldering copper etc
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

James:

In answer to your question "do you have to retrofit......" If you have a torch setup that you are using for OA now, you really only need two things to be set up for Propane/Propylene. One is to make sure that you have Grade T hoses. Standard Grade R hoses will not stand up to propane. Second is that you need to get you some propane tips. They are two piece tips. Victor and Smith make propane tips in all of the sizes that you find for acyl. Your acyl. regulator will work fine on the propane.

Adios-----

Victor customer care told me that once I used my regulator on propane not to use it on acyl. Said that the stench in propane would build up a film & cut down on the presure of acyl.

cool, thanks i'll keep that in mind if the $ starts to get out of hand. although truth be told seems like i don't use it much any more with plasma and MIG, TIG, stick options. just heating and the occasional braze really. i suppose it would have to get pretty high $ to warrant a change. but its nice to know whats involved. helps make an informed decision.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Massey View Post
    Victor customer care told me that once I used my regulator on propane not to use it on acyl. Said that the stench in propane would build up a film & cut down on the presure of acyl.
    68 Massey:

I find that interesting. I have been using propylene, or propane now for about five years, and keep an owned bottle of acetylene on hand for the odd occassion when I need it. I have the big Victor regulators. Probably 98% of the time the regulator is running propane, 2% of the time back on acetylene. After five years of this I can see NO problems with pressure adjustment when using acetylene. Seems like it would have to be one heck of a film to cut down on the pressure. As I said it is interesting and something that I will keep an eye on.

My Victors are old and I really prefer them to anything for cutting. I prefer my Harris for welding. My Smith is in the oddity collection as I can't get tips for it here.

Acetylene is more efficient for cutting and heating than propane, and there is no stinky smell. I'm actually getting acetylene cheaper than propane down here.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Never used propylene but my LWS had some literature about it last time I was in. While I can't find the literature at this time my recollection was that correct hose was required (as mentioned by others) and perhaps tips although I'm fuzzy on this.

The literature was very strong on added safety benefits of propylene over acetylene.
    First MIG: Miller 172
    Second MIG: Lincoln Idealarc SP-200
    Current MIG: Powcon 400SM & PD 22 feeder
    Jet horiz/vert bandsaw
    Victor O/A torch and regulators
    Jackson NexGen EQC helmet
    Two beagles