Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default which one is better?

for a torch:victor or smith
    fuel: propylene or acetylene
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Never heard of propylene, unless you meant propane and spell/type like me
    Smith has a lifetime warranty on some of its models i know that. We have all Smith I think with no issues. 7 sets in all. Maybe somebody else has used both. And we use acetylene
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Never heard of propylene, unless you meant propane and spell/type like me
    Smith has a lifetime warranty on some of its models i know that. We have all Smith I think with no issues. 7 sets in all. Maybe somebody else has used both. And we use acetylene
    not a misspell, it is like mapp.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Welding or Cutting?

Smith is still made in the USA and covered by people that care. Victor....ive found not to be so true anymore. Customer service is non-existent. They fired most of the engineers and now are a bunch of salesman and purchasing people. Factories is mexico and china....product quality way down from 10 years ago.

Just my experience
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Lightbulb

this might help.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/education...ight=propylene

i have an old victor i am very happy with, as well as a new one. they seem very much alike. i'll have to take a closer look. keep in mind mine is a small set. you are probably looking at a larger version.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I don't really have a preference between the two, I have both brands and use them both frequently with out any issues. Mine are also quite old and well abused over the years, a few of my friends however, have complained about their new Victor torches have valve problems on the oxygen side. I guess that may be the difference between my old junk (as they call it) and their brand new equipment. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Propylene is just Propane on steroids. Propylene is more expensive and you can only get it from your LWS. Propane cheaper and you can get it anywhere, on a Saturday or Sunday when you run out and the LWS is closed.

I cut with acetylene for many years but have gone to propylene, and now propane. Like others above, I have many Victor and Smith torches, all very old, and they are about equal. I do not prefer one over the other.

If you set up for propylene or propane make sure that you outfit your rig with Grade T hose. Propylene or propane will eat up the standard Grade R hoses in a heartbeat. If you outfit with Grade T you can use Propylene, propane, or acetylene.

Talking

The only advantage acetylene has over other fuel gases is that it's the only one that can be used to actualy weld carbon steel. Propylene actualy burns hotter than acetylene but produces moisture that will ruin a weld thus limiting it to cutting, pre heat, and brazing just like the other gases. Propylene in my opinion has the most advantages over other gases (propane is also a very good choice) but as everyone knows theres no free lunch. With propylene I'd have to say it would be availability. Propylene as well as the tips arn't available at all LWS's but if it is near you then go for it. Another thing is it's extremely light weight making tank handling much esier. You can also stack cut multiple peices at once with propalyne making repetive jobs go much quicker. You can also have a stand off distance of over 6" and still get an acceptible cut. As far as torches go if you can find a decent used one then I'd say it's personal preference. If you'r looking for a new one then I'd say go with a smith dual gaurd setup as there the most durable. The thing is with the smith setups is that your only suposed to hand tighten the tips due to the graphite seal on them. Many people use a wrench on them and end up going through loads of tips because they keep ruining the graphite seal due to over tightening.

Hope I helped.

Default Its a Ford/Chevy/Dodge Issue

Hello!

Well I teach welding at the High School level. We use our torches a lot, I have 15 newer victor 100 and 300s. I have 4 older smiths. They both work very well, however The victor torches are my favorite by a LITTLE margin. They are nicer styled and more ***y... I would see what you can get the best deal on... If it is true that Smiths are still made here, and Victors are foreign, (I dont know that) then the edge should go to Smith.

I am all for Aceytlene however. I have never used some of the other, but I hate using Propane for cutting. Aceytlene is hotter, so you will spend much less time waiting for preheat. It is more expensive, but if you value your time and sanity, Acetylene is the way to go!

i decided on propylene fuel. wont be doing any torch welding just cuts and preheat. the lws gave me about 75 bucks cheaper on the smith rig, now i have to save up a little money to get some tips for it...lol
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com