Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shackle mounts

Hybrid View

Default shackle mounts

New mounts for my 93 Dodge dually.

Thumbs up Great

Cannon,
    Looks like a real nice job that will out last the truck.

I will be blastig the frame and putting dupacolor bedliner on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cannon express View Post
    I will be blastig the frame and putting dupacolor bedliner on it.
    Are you sure you what to do that,? Ask around and you may fimd out that,s not allways best. What about epoxy paint for marine use.??

Default Dont use bedliner

use an automotive epoxy primer and color on the frame rails,Bedliner may not provide the right corrosion protection you need and because it is thick it may also trap water and make matters worse,The mounts are beauties.Mike

hey nice pic.you can do blast on this forum...i am waiting of your blast...
    Jazz Motorsports manufactures Personal watercrafts, jet ski sport bike and motorcylcle parts http://www.jazzmotorsports.com

Easier/cheaper to use a takeoff set of front brackets from a junk D or W 250-350, drill frame accordingly, and flip shackle. Side benefit it that it looks almost stock because it uses OEM parts. The guys at RamCharger Central don't visit the junkyard too often I guess. My work rig is a '91 W250 so I'm no stranger to this mod.

As far as the welds, just finish the insides with 7018 and don't worry about it. The stock shackle isn't very strong when it's put in compression and will usually fold up before anything breaks. Stock shackle was designed to be in tension and is usually the weakest link in a shackle flip lift. EDIT: N/M looks like it's "done" judging by paint.

I know for a fact 91 CTD's use a smaller ID bushing size (and bolt) than 93 springs. I think they made the change in 91.5 or 92 model year. If you decide to try the OEM bracket trick, measure the bolt size. It's not the same for all first gens.
    Last edited by MR.57; 08-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.