Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Need advice for entry level welder

Hi everyone,

My name is Shelly, and a non-profit company recently hired me as a job counselor. I am new to the field and need to learn lots about different kinds of jobs. I need some advice about writing a resume and interviewing for an entry-level position as a welder.

My first client is a young man who has received a Certificate of Achievement in Welding-Gas and Electric from the Los Angeles Trade Technical College, and has a Los Angeles City license as a Certified Welder in Structural Manual Process. But he has no previous work experience.

If anyone can answer any of the following questions I would really appreciate it.

When applying for an entry level welding position what do you wear to an interview? Do you dress up?

Do entry-level positions require a resume or just filling out an application?

Any tricky questions on applications to look out for?

What skills do employers look for, technical as well as soft skills like "being a team player"?

What kinds of companies are more likely to offer entry level welding positions?

Any suggestions on finding entry-level positions in the Los Angeles area?

Are there any good job search websites for welders?

Are there apprenticeships? If so what kinds of companies offer apprenticeships, how do you find them?

Are most jobs union jobs? If so what does it take to get into the union?

Any advice on helping a young man start a welding career will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for your time and attention!

Sincerely

Shelly Reswick
    Southern California Rehabilitation Services
    scrsshelly@aol.com

you might want to read the first post in
    this thread on the hobart message board
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=34753

frank

Default Welding

you must have welder skills. and you should also have to practice it in your home. i.e you may wear your welding jackets and weld something in your house etc. you must have to give concentration on your practice. And when you will go to the company for the job they will never ignore your hardworking behind welding. so best of luck.

What to wear?

Well do not wear a suit to the interview!!! LOL

One of the best jobs I ever had I was on for 11 years until I quit to work for an aircraft company.
    But after several months on the job one of the men said they thought that the day I was interviewed I might not know anything and that I looked like a beginner because I wore brand new TIG gloves.

But when I was asked to take a simple test that day I knew the company did not even know how to give a welding test.

If I was going to an interview I would wear jeans, work boots, and a long sleeve shirt.

Take your helmet, gloves, and welding jacket with you in a bag.

Look like a welder. That is what they want. And be polite. They want a smart welder. A safe welder, and a welder that can listen and get along with others.
    Be willing to learn and listen.

BTW... That job listed on that link. FORGET ABOUT IT. Bottom of the barrel.
    Work for better people.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-08-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Applying to the union is as simple as calling the local hall and scheduling a test. The "education coordinator" is usually the person responsible for testing new applicants. If they like what they see after the test, they'll offer an apprenticeship. Then there's an initiation fee - varies widely.

Some unions with welding specialties.
    Ironworkers
    Pipefitters
    Boilermakers
    Millwrights

For a typical welder's job interview or union meeting, The only real dressing up he may want to do is perhaps get a fresh haircut. If he wants to look "ready to work", he should certainly wear work clothes I usually wear a clean pair of carpenter pants with a simple button down work shirt and my steel toe boots. NO sneakers - they are not acceptable footwear in an industrial environment and that's what he'll be working in if he's a welder. He should also have a pair of safety glasses handy - either worn or carried in chest pocket (employers like safety conscious people) It's not a bad idea to bring along his personal welding gear: hood,gloves,leathers in the car just in case. That way if the employer offers a skills test, he'll have his gear readily available. It's not mandatory to bring your own PPE (by law the employer has to provide it) but it 's definitely encouraged and it's also a lot more comfortable welding with the gear you are used to.

A resume' is never a bad idea, but it's usually not necessary for an entry level job. They're usually pretty short interviews. Once the employer is reasonably confidant you are not a psychopath, illegal immigrant, or a drug addict they usually just sit you down at a welding station and say "OK, Let's see what you can do". Anyone can say they're a welder, demonstrating the skill is generally what gets you hired.
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Just a few sites off the top of the my head CareerBuilder.com and craigslist.org. Seen some welding jobs on craigslist in my area. Look under skill trade/craft.

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.
    TD Cutmaster 52.
    Hobart Stickmate.
    Miller 211 w/ Spoolgun.