Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Weld-in Bung and adapters ... help find

Often times i need to have a flush mounted threaded bung set into my steel tubing. I usually mig weld a plain steel nut to the back side of a steel washer. As you know, the mig weld takes up room and i have to cut the receiving hole rather large to accommodate the mig weld bead.

Does anyone know where i can find a weld-in bung that has a small shoulder ?

In this photo, the weld-in bung is used to receive the leveling foot pad.

thanks for any help.

large size
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/weldhou...7611212793707/
    Attached Images Attached Images

jimmy_pop,

Nice table.

I used flange nuts for my work table leveling feet.

Cut the hole for the flange with a hole saw and welded it flush with the tubing.

Saves welding a washer to the nut.

Stainless flange nuts are also available for outdoor applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Cool. I'll try to find a flange nut with the flat base like the pic you attached. i dont mind having that small lip to weld to.

thanks!

Now you NEED to buy a lathe! You may have wanted one before ,but
    now you really need one.
    Dave P.

Hit up a racing equipment supply shop...some to think about are Longacre and Pegasus auto racing supply.

They might have what you are looking for. Could also check out Protofab, I think they make weld in bungs.

EDIT: Did a little searching since I have nothing better to do right now. http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...=1317&catid=21

I have a feeling what you need is a touch heavier duty that most auto applications...so this is the only one Im going to post. Pack of (6) 1/2" 20 thread weld bosses.
    Last edited by On fire most of the time; 07-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

thanks for posting that website, it helped me find something that I was looking for, NPT Bungs.
    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Cool

I 2nd the lathe. You can turn so many cool parts to use on your weldments...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

someday, i'll get there.