Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by enwhy View Post
    apparently my quest for help has caused some turbulance. i thought that this was a forum that was here to help people with any confusion they may have about something pertaining to welding. i didnt realize it was a site where you stick your chest out and see how far you can pi$$. and a quick question for SUNHILL.....whats your deal?? r u dabars tag team partner? seems like you desperately want to be his side kick or something. Nontheless.....you're comments and responses are immature, especially for a 61 year old wannabe welder and so called engineer. Grow up and stop kissing dabars a$$ and hangin off every word he says.
    lmfao....... i dont care who u are,thats some funny stuff right there.
    anyways
    enwhy.. its not like this most of the time and i know the guys here have helped me and given me some really good ideas.
    but there are times when some people here think what they were told once or know the way back when laws, just cant except that there rong,was told bad info, or that the laws have changed.
    but as you already know from working in the field that theres all difforant kinds of people out there and that go's for here to
    back to the trailer now i just made a dump trailer from a boat trailer and found it alot easyer to make the box then to try to use a already made trailer
    the best thing for me was to go look at some take the best from all and make what he's going to need for what he's going to be useing it for. and remm. a little overkill here is a good thing

gary

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Hey Dabar39,

Does the Good Ol Boys Club have meetings and that sort of thing that people are supposed to attend?
    I'm not sure, I'm still waiting for my secret decoder ring to arrive. They said it was in the mail and it sure is taking a long time to get here.
    apparently my quest for help has caused some turbulance. i thought that this was a forum that was here to help people with any confusion they may have about something pertaining to welding. i didnt realize it was a site where you stick your chest out and see how far you can pi$$. and a quick question for SUNHILL.....whats your deal?? r u dabars tag team partner? seems like you desperately want to be his side kick or something. Nontheless.....you're comments and responses are immature, especially for a 61 year old wannabe welder and so called engineer. Grow up and stop kissing dabars a$$ and hangin off every word he says.
    Post up some more info about the trailer in question and we may be able to offer advice as to whether it is worth taking on such a project or if building new/ purchasing new is a better option.

P.S. I looked in the mirror this morning and couldn't find any lip prints on my backside, nobody has been kissing my a$$.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

dont know anything about trailers, but have been offered a project to convert a 16' tandem into a dump trailer. dont know how or where to start. any advice...........how much $$?, how difficult?,any inspection required?.......the more info you could give me the better thx
    enwhy, since you have offered no real information, other than a dump on a 16' tandem, there really isn't anything anybody can offer. Pictures, drawings, a real description would help. As far as rules and laws, a location would be a prerequisite, different states have different regulations. Knowing the rules in Florida, for example, do you absolutely no good in NY.

Best thing I can offer, is do what most of us did in the days before the interweb ..... field trip. Look for new trailers, used trailers, similar to what you want to do, and have to work with. Take notes, take pictures, make drawings. Figure out how and why it's engineered like it is. On used trailers, look for repairs that have been done, this will indicate weaknesses in whatever design, or possibly poor workmanship, neither of which you want to repeat.

Actually looking at some, will also give you a pretty good idea, if it's something you are capable of doing, given your experience and equipment. Just be honest with yourself.

Check with new trailer sales, look up landscapers, golf courses, etc. Shouldn't be hard finding some, I see dozens around here. And while you are at the new trailer sales, find out prices. This will give you a handle on whether what you are planning to do, will be economically feasible or not. Many times, you can even look on the interweb, and find prices.

Enwhy, these guys are trying to help you because it's obvious you know nothing about trailers nor do I, but when someone that is a trailer builder and can forsee the problems you are going to encounter by hurting yourself or someone, it is time to listen. A few years ago in the area where I live a family was killed because a faulty trailer broke loose from the opposite side of the interstate, crossed the median and hit a vehicle causing it to catch on fire and kill everyone inside. This was as has been mentioned because of an unsafe trailer, so I think I would listen to the good old boys club as they can keep a lot of grief out of your life. These guys are not here to run you down or ridicule but only to help you. You stated that you knew nothing about working on a trailer so just turn it over to someone who does and your problem is solved.

Wheelchair

Understand, he's not BUILDING a trailer, he's just maybe going to make and install a dump for an existing trailer.

He has to consider,,, that he's changing the stress points, to hinges at the back, and cylinder at the front.

Which is why I suggested, look at some existing trailers. And also check out prices,,,, oftentimes it's cheaper buying something new, that will already do what you want, than modifying something old. Can you buy material, build, install, and supply all the hardware, for the same price as a new tandem axle dump trailer????

I have never been shy, about telling a customer, that they can buy something new, for the same or less, than it would cost me to build.

when i first signed up for this site, i thought it would be useful to observe various ongoing welding discussions. but i've found that it's the entertainment factor provided by threads such as this, that keeps me coming back.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

i don't understand why everyone here thinks there the only person who can do something and when someone else come here for help (that's what this site is for) when they ask yall tell um why they should not do it insted of telling um how to do it
    and who cares how many trailers someone has made everyone had there first one and everyone should be glad to help um know the right way to do it insted of running um off telling um not to and getting people killed coz lack of info
    pls dont take this personal dabar39. i have read alot of your post and know you know what your talking about
    but what might not be worth doing to you might be what they want and will do.
    i just got done maken a dump trailer from a old boat trailer and it only costed me about 200 bux out of my pocket to do it coz i ether had it got it from friends or got it used from swopmeet i had never made a dump trailer before and that was one of my first question here on this site was for plans on how to
    i'm glad i was not told or asked all this BS

gary

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    i don't understand why everyone here thinks there the only person who can do something and when someone else come here for help (that's what this site is for) when they ask yall tell um why they should not do it insted of telling um how to do it
    and who cares how many trailers someone has made everyone had there first one and everyone should be glad to help um know the right way to do it insted of running um off telling um not to and getting people killed coz lack of info
    pls dont take this personal dabar39. i have read alot of your post and know you know what your talking about
    but what might not be worth doing to you might be what they want and will do.
    i just got done maken a dump trailer from a old boat trailer and it only costed me about 200 bux out of my pocket to do it coz i ether had it got it from friends or got it used from swopmeet i had never made a dump trailer before and that was one of my first question here on this site was for plans on how to
    i'm glad i was not told or asked all this BS

gary
    gary - I for one would be very interested in seeing pictures of your dump trailer. Please post them up so others interested in building their own trailer will have an example to help guide their decisions after doing a search. That way they can get their information with out listening to "all this BS".

If you come on here to and ask "How do I use?
    What wire, rod do I?
    What welder should I buy?
    I need help?
    Anybody have plans?"
    It is either because you don't know or are unsure of a process and need advice. Now here is where the problems lie, when the O/P asks his questions, receives the answers and advise that he does not want to hear. The person that wants to really wants to learn will start to assemble that info and try to make a positive experience out of it. Here is the scariest part of the "Internet" they can just keep asking their questions until they find someone out there who will give them the answers that they want to hear.

If a project has wheels and a hitch it can and at some time will be used on a roadway with anyone in the population at risk. What you see as BS is welders trying to drive home the point that SAFETY needs to be your first concern with you new project.

The next time you are headed to the "swopmeet" and get behind a farmer towing a hay wagon that is weaving over a lane and a half, that you need to pass, start to wonder. Did he follow the advise of welders, or did he just take a 110 volt mig and with his ability and deep penetration stick that baby together. Now do you pass or do you back off a safe distance so you can stop and protect the family sitting next to you? Please post your pictures.

Charlie

Default "Offering"

dont know anything about trailers, but have been offered a project to convert a 16' tandem into a dump trailer. dont know how or where to start. any advice...........how much $$?, how difficult?,any inspection required?.......the more info you could give me the better thx
    I guess if you're going to haul styrofoam cups, it might be okay.

I'm still wondering how someone who "doesn't know anything about trailers," was selected for this project.

An 8 x 16 trailer with 4' sides can hold 500 cu feet of material.

500 cu feet translates to 18.5 cu yards.

A cubic yard of concrete weighs 4000# and covers 80 sq. ft.

2000# of gravel can fit in a bath tub.

A ton of gravel, or dirt covers 100 sq. ft.

One could easily add 1000# of material, hydraulic rams, and such to this trailer to make it functional

Any signifiant payload would pop the tires.

You would need 6" C-channel, tandem axles with dual tires and hydraulic or air brakes to use a trailer this size for "dumping."

It would then help if you had a Kenworth with a 435 Cat too.

Does that answer your question?

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by 59halfstep View Post
    gary - I for one would be very interested in seeing pictures of your dump trailer. Please post them up so others interested in building their own trailer will have an example to help guide their decisions after doing a search. That way they can get their information with out listening to "all this BS".

If you come on here to and ask "How do I use?
    What wire, rod do I?
    What welder should I buy?
    I need help?
    Anybody have plans?"
    It is either because you don't know or are unsure of a process and need advice. Now here is where the problems lie, when the O/P asks his questions, receives the answers and advise that he does not want to hear. The person that wants to really wants to learn will start to assemble that info and try to make a positive experience out of it. Here is the scariest part of the "Internet" they can just keep asking their questions until they find someone out there who will give them the answers that they want to hear.

If a project has wheels and a hitch it can and at some time will be used on a roadway with anyone in the population at risk. What you see as BS is welders trying to drive home the point that SAFETY needs to be your first concern with you new project.

The next time you are headed to the "swopmeet" and get behind a farmer towing a hay wagon that is weaving over a lane and a half, that you need to pass, start to wonder. Did he follow the advise of welders, or did he just take a 110 volt mig and with his ability and deep penetration stick that baby together. Now do you pass or do you back off a safe distance so you can stop and protect the family sitting next to you? Please post your pictures.

Charlie
    heres some pics i wish i had taken more when i was doing it
    the first two (i hope yall can understand it) was some of the things i did
    trailer0.jpg

trailer0.1.jpg

dump trailer2..JPG

trailer1.jpg

trailer.JPG