Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Back in 1990 I built a tandem axle trailer. It weighed 2020 lbs. The person at the tag office said I would have to schedule an inspection and a title will be issued because it weighed more than 2000 lbs. Now are you telling me that the State changed the law.?? But I will tell you this there may be a differance between a trailer listed as Home made or ASPT. And one that is listed as being manufactured.. What do you think.??
    I wasn't in the trailer business back in 1990 so I can't say how it was done then, only the procedures I go through now as stated above. As far as homemade trailers go, all you have to do is take the receipts with you for the products used in the build (to be sure nothing is stolen) and a print out of the weight from a certified scale operator, that could be at any truck stop, county land fill or salvage yard with certified scales. The D.M.V. office is only interested in one thing, a check payable to them.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Yes I know how to get a trailer tag that's no problem. I just looked at the state web site. It says trailers under 1999 lbs. no titles are required.. Ask one of your customers that bought a trailer from you that weighed over 2000lbs. if when they went to the tag office if they were issued a title. http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqtitle.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by urch55; 07-27-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Yes I know how to get a trailer tag that's no problem. I just looked at the state web site. It says trailers under 1999 lbs. no titles are requiredhttp://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqtitle.html
    Trailers under 1999 lbs. are considered personal use type of trailer so no there is no title, 2000 and over is considered a commercial use trailer and they do get a title issued to them. We are not talking about commercial duty trailers here, and I'm not sure if you realize their classifications. One of my basic 5'X10' trailers weighs in at about 480 lbs. (but has a 3500 max. payload)depending on the options and a 6'4"X16'(7000lb. max payload) weighs in at 860lbs., so as you can clearly see, no title. When they say a 1999 lb. or less trailer you are talking about trailers in the 10,000lb or less payloads. A trailer weighing in at over 2000 lbs. is gonna be rated to carry up to a 26,000 payload (depending of course the type of brakes used, air brakes or air assist is listed differently altogether) Then we also could go into the specifics of semi trailers but that would open up a whole nuther rule book.

Another small tidbit of information, Many of the local Municipalities view any single axle utility type trailer as being personal use and tandem axle utility type trailers are considered commercial use even though they are not registered as such, thereby making it illegal to keep a tandem trailer on personal property, not very widely enforced by the code enforcement officers, but many of the small towns have the law in their books.

I can't save the page from D.M.V., but this is a cut copy and paste from page two of their title application

WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO COMPLETE THIS FORM?
    ANY PERSON OR AUTHORIZED AGENT OF ANY PERSON, REQUIRED TO MAKE APPLICATION
    FOR CERTIFICATE OF TITLE AND/OR REGISTRATION.
    WHEN SHOULD THIS FORM BE COMPLETED?
    ON ALL USED MOTOR VEHICLES, INCLUDING TRAILERS NOT CURRENTLY TITLED IN FLORIDA,
    WITH A NET WEIGHT OF 2,000 POUNDS OR MORE.
    WHEN SHOULD THIS FORM NOT BE COMPLETED?
    WHEN CERTIFICATE OF TITLE IS BEING APPLIED FOR ON ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. NEW MOTOR VEHICLE, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER PURCHASED IN FLORIDA OR
    OUT-OF-STATE
    2. MOBILE HOME
    3. TRAILER OR SEMITRAILER WITH A NET WEIGHT OF LESS THAN 2,000 POUNDS
    4. TRAILER TYPE RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (TRAVEL TRAILERS AND CAMP TRAILERS)
    VIN VERIFICATION BY AN OUT OF STATE MOTOR VEHICLE DEALER:
    IF THE VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN) IS VERIFIED BY AN OUT-OF-STATE MOTOR
    VEHICLE DEALER, THE VERIFICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED ON THEIR LETTERHEAD
    STATIONERY.
    HSMV 82042

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I know enough about trailers, etc. to know when Dave (Dabar39) tells you something, you can take it to the bank, to the DMV, to the freaking moon for that matter.

Arguing with Dabar39 about trailers (you've built one, he's built 700+) shows you're not here to learn. YOU ALREADY KNOW IT ALL.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Dave.
    So if you agree with me why all this arguing.?
    If the finished dump trailer weights 2000 lbs. or more there will be a title issued if his state has the same laws.
    Does not matter if it's 10,000 or 14,000 or 18,000 GVW etc.
    And if it is listed as home made or ASPT that's when they want an inspection to make sure it's road worthy, since a manufacturer did not make it. I am telling you that is what happen to me. Because I built it on my own..

But we did not go though this when I worked for a manufacturer. After the number was stamped on, after the weigh in after the invoice was payed, the customer towed it away. Unless it was to be delivered like I had to do, two trailers piggy back down to Naples. One tri axle and one tandem.

Some day I will have to tell you about some of the trailers we built. That's if you want to..

Dave.
    So if you agree with me why all this arguing.?
    If the finished dump trailer weights 2000 lbs. or more there will be a title issued if his state has the same laws.
    Does not matter if it's 10,000 or 14,000 or 18,000 GVW etc.
    And if it is listed as home made or ASPT that's when they want an inspection to make sure it's road worthy, since a manufacturer did not make it. I am telling you that is what happen to me. Because I built it on my own..

But we did not go though this when I worked for a manufacturer. After the number was stamped on, after the weigh in after the invoice was payed, the customer towed it away. Unless it was to be delivered like I had to do, two trailers piggy back down to Naples. One tri axle and one tandem.

Some day I will have to tell you about some of the trailers we built. That's if you want to..
    No arguments from my side, just posting accurate information.

If built correctly with the proper materials that trailer should not weigh in anywhere near the 2000 lb. range, maybe 14- 1600lb. range and thereby will not require a title. And again, I have never had a trailer inspected whether it was a brand new unit or one that had been refurbished and sold with only a bill of sale from my residence, hence making it a homebuilt unit.

This may only be my second day on the job and I was 2 hours late but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
    Last edited by dabar39; 07-28-2009 at 12:32 AM.

I guess he done took his ball and went home to mama.

Urch,

LMAO,

After you jumped into a couple of threads I was on with your worthless bable, I went back and read about 5 pages of the 600 or so posts you've made in the last two months since signing up.

What that told me, I've still got a lot to learn (from guys like Dave) but it's not going to be from you. I've seen a lot of "ataboy's" and other BS come from your keyboard, but nothing of substance.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    More grinders than hands

Hey Dabar39,

Does the Good Ol Boys Club have meetings and that sort of thing that people are supposed to attend?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    More grinders than hands

Default sorry i asked

apparently my quest for help has caused some turbulance. i thought that this was a forum that was here to help people with any confusion they may have about something pertaining to welding. i didnt realize it was a site where you stick your chest out and see how far you can pi$$. and a quick question for SUNHILL.....whats your deal?? r u dabars tag team partner? seems like you desperately want to be his side kick or something. Nontheless.....you're comments and responses are immature, especially for a 61 year old wannabe welder and so called engineer. Grow up and stop kissing dabars a$$ and hangin off every word he says.