Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default help...dump trailer!

dont know anything about trailers, but have been offered a project to convert a 16' tandem into a dump trailer. dont know how or where to start. any advice...........how much $$?, how difficult?,any inspection required?.......the more info you could give me the better thx

Thumbs down Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by enwhy View Post
    dont know anything about trailers, but have been offered a project to convert a 16' tandem into a dump trailer. dont know how or where to start. any advice...........how much $$?, how difficult?,any inspection required?.......the more info you could give me the better thx
    I have found out 90% of the time it is not worth it. First how is the frame and what is the material it is made out of.? You will have to make a subframe with sides and tail gate. Sit that sub frame on top of trailer. install a dump cly. unit as well as a hyd. power pack, and a battery . Plus most trailer frames are too close to the ground all dump trailers the axle springs are over slung with longer hangers. this adds ground clearance. In my opinion it's better to buy a dump trailer than to try to make one out of a flat bed. Or make one from scratch, but you can buy cheaper than making one. I know I have priced them out vs the material and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by enwhy View Post
    Here we go again..........................

Before any of your questions can be answered you need to give us A LOT MORE INFORMATION

First things first,

what is your experience level?
    what type of tools and equipment are at your disposal?
    what process are you going to weld with?
    what is the rating on the trailer?
    what materials were used in the trailer frame?
    etc.....etc.....etc.....etc.....

After you give us the much needed answers to these questions, I will give you some much needed advice as to why it probably should not be done, besides the obvious cost factors mentioned by urch55
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Yepper,

Second, I want to build/modify a trailer post of the week. This one's really cool though. He asks that the respondent provide "as much information as possible", yet he chooses to provide absolutely none (except stating he knows nothing about trailers).

Dave,

Ever thought of writing a book and selling it to these guys?
    Last edited by SundownIII; 07-27-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Enwhy.

Another thing to consider, Contact your state for laws pertaining to trailers.
    The state of Florida has a law if the empty weight of a trailer is 2000 pounds or more it has to be inspected and a title will be issued. And with all that iron on that trailer it's a safe bet it will be over 2000 lbs.

Does it currently have brakes? If not and the GVRW exceeds 2900# (at least in AZ) it will have to have brakes. What's the rating of the current axles? 5,6 or 8 bolt? What GVWR are you after? Do you want to be able to dump a trailer load of duck feathers or a trailer load of rock, dirt and gravel?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Enwhy.

Another thing to consider, Contact your state for laws pertaining to trailers.
    The state of Florida has a law if the empty weight of a trailer is 2000 pounds or more it has to be inspected and a title will be issued. And with all that iron on that trailer it's a safe bet it will be over 2000 lbs.
    urch, I beg to differ with you, I have personally built over 700 trailers and sold everyone of them with only a certificate of origin, which I might add is nothing more than a document that I draw up on company stationary. They want nothing more than to see the empty weight, the max payload and that I certify that it was manufactured in the U.S.A.. The parts however can come from anywhere, it just has to be assembled in the States. The only other thing required by Federal law is that I certify any single axle over 3500 pounds to have brakes, and that all tandems regardless of weight or payload have brakes with a break a way kit supplied. Does not have to work, just has to be there. Federal law also mandates that all lighting be D.O.T. approved and now they are requiring conspicuity tape to be placed down the sides of the trailers.

Registration differs from county to county, some counties specify that I collect all sales taxes and others specify that they are to collect them. Some counties require that I supply a 17 digit v.i.n. and others assign the numbers themselves.

I have never had a single trailer go through any form of an inspection process. As far as a title goes, you have to specifically ask the clerk at the D.M.V. for one, a trailer needs only a bill of sale and registration papers to be legal, these are some of the very reasons that you see so many hobbled up homemade pieces of cr@p on the road today. If Florida did mandate an inspection process I would have to guess close to half of the trailers in use today would fail.

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default my mistake

sorry for the lack of info, first timer to the site.......as far as my experience i've only been welding for about 6 years. I'm a registered B welder. Have lots of experience with structural, some pressure/pipe,valve and actuator assemblies, etc etc. However, i've got little to no mechanical background. This trailer project was just offered a day ago, so perhaps my request for help was no doubt premature. Heres what i do know.........the frame is
    4x4hss, cross members are channel, the decking is wood 2x6, and it's rated at 14,000lbs. As far as the weld process.....micro wire probably.

hopefully ill be able to aquire a little more info to post by tommorrow after i go meet with the guy........thx for the advice so far tho

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Yepper,

Second, I want to build/modify a trailer post of the week. This one's really cool though. He asks that the respondent provide "as much information as possible", yet he chooses to provide absolutely none (except stating he knows nothing about trailers).

Dave,

Ever thought of writing a book and selling it to these guys?

Nah, wouldn't do any good, they're all smarter than the guy that does this for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    urch, I beg to differ with you, I have personally built over 700 trailers and sold everyone of them with only a certificate of origin, which I might add is nothing more than a document that I draw up on company stationary. They want nothing more than to see the empty weight, the max payload and that I certify that it was manufactured in the U.S.A.. The parts however can come from anywhere, it just has to be assembled in the States. The only other thing required by Federal law is that I certify any single axle over 3500 pounds to have brakes, and that all tandems regardless of weight or payload have brakes with a break a way kit supplied. Does not have to work, just has to be there. Federal law also mandates that all lighting be D.O.T. approved and now they are requiring conspicuity tape to be placed down the sides of the trailers.

Registration differs from county to county, some counties specify that I collect all sales taxes and others specify that they are to collect them. Some counties require that I supply a 17 digit v.i.n. and others assign the numbers themselves.

I have never had a single trailer go through any form of an inspection process. As far as a title goes, you have to specifically ask the clerk at the D.M.V. for one, a trailer needs only a bill of sale and registration papers to be legal, these are some of the very reasons that you see so many hobbled up homemade pieces of cr@p on the road today. If Florida did mandate an inspection process I would have to guess close to half of the trailers in use today would fail.
    Back in 1990 I built a tandem axle trailer. It weighed 2020 lbs. The person at the tag office said I would have to schedule an inspection and a title will be issued because it weighed more than 2000 lbs. Now are you telling me that the State changed the law.?? But I will tell you this there may be a differance between a trailer listed as Home made or ASPT. And one that is listed as being manufactured.. What do you think.??