Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Argon/CO2 tank

Default Argon/CO2 tank

Hi,
    I will be new to using shielding gas, Ive always used flux core. I will be purchasing a MM211 and would like to go mig. So lets compare cylinders, should I get 40 or 80 cf tank? How long will they last on average when comparing to lbs of wire used? I know there are variables, I just need some ideas how long they last.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, I would go with the 80 or larger cf bottle. I use a 125 cf bottle and I never figured how many pounds of wire I used per bottle and I run mine at 20cfm. It does last quite a while.

The bigger the tank you get the better. And unless you don't have the space for it i would go even bigger with a 125. I figure pay for it once and don't have to refill that often. I run a 250 on my tig
    Oh and cost to refill will not be that much more either so you will save money in the long run.
    As for CF to Lb of wire used I have no clue
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Add another to the 'bigger the better column'....... pg
    Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Cyl cu ft size divided by whatever you normally set cfh to on flowmeter. In a perfect world an 80cf cyl with flow set at 20cfh would give about 4 hours weld time. It's not a perfect world, so allow for losses.

If you want to figure out how long tank will last in relation to lbs of wire, you'll have to figure out your wire speed in inches per minute and how many inches of wire = 1 lb. I never attempted to do the math, but it's possible to figure out.

Default GMAW Variables

Quote Originally Posted by kstill361 View Post
    Hi,
    I will be new to using shielding gas, Ive always used flux core. I will be purchasing a MM211 and would like to go mig. So lets compare cylinders, should I get 40 or 80 cf tank? How long will they last on average when comparing to lbs of wire used? I know there are variables, I just need some ideas how long they last.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin: Welcome to the Forum. Deposition rate varies with wire size (dia.), WFS, (wire feed speed) and arc time.

.035 wire feeding at 400 IPM (inches per minute), with 100% arc time figures approximately 6.5 lb/hr.

One could figure shielding gas flowing at 25 CFH (cubic feet per hour) as a constant @ 100% arc time. You would be more apt to figure how long your supply would last rather than trying to correlate CFH & lbs/hr.

A 125 cubic foot bottle of C-25 would last 5 hours @ 100% arc time. we know this isn't attainable, based on duty cycles, fit, clamping, etc.

If you can afford to buy the biggest bottle they offer, it is much more economical when refill time occurs. The major "up front" expense is buying the bottle initially, refills for 300 cu/ft bottles of C-25 in Phoenix are about $45.

Hope this answers your question(s).

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

The largest possible size bottle is the most economical way to go, but some LWS won't refill privately owned bottles over a certain size. They will lease you a large bottle and then charge you for refill/exchange of it, but they won't refill your personally owned large bottle. Before you buy one, check with your LWS on what their operating rules are before you buy. In any case you want the largest bottle that you can have to reduce the gas cost per cubic ft.

CharleyL
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Yes, thank you all.
    I was looking to find out how long the tank would last and have found the answer to my question. I was using the tank vs lbs of wire just for an example, maybe not the best example.

posts #5 and #6 were what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
    The largest possible size bottle is the most economical way to go, but some LWS won't refill privately owned bottles over a certain size. They will lease you a large bottle and then charge you for refill/exchange of it, but they won't refill your personally owned large bottle. Before you buy one, check with your LWS on what their operating rules are before you buy. In any case you want the largest bottle that you can have to reduce the gas cost per cubic ft.

CharleyL

Yes, my LWS is ILL-MO and the start up lease is expensive, for Oxy/Acet anyway, I have two sets of tanks. We also have Lincoln Land FS, and I will check with them to see if they fill private bottles.

Default Shielding Gases

Quote Originally Posted by kstill361 View Post
    Yes, thank you all.
    I was looking to find out how long the tank would last and have found the answer to my question. I was using the tank vs lbs of wire just for an example, maybe not the best example.

posts #5 and #6 were what I was looking for.
    Kevin: Glad we were able to help. To echo CharleyL, most LWS's allow you to "buy" the bottle from them, and just exchange for a full one as needed. It can vary by State or Municipality, so check with them first.

A lot of shops have bottles shipped to them for their inventory. Preferably, if you do your business where they actually have the plant, you're more likely to get "fresher" bottles, with a less likely of a chance to "bleed off" sitting in some back room. I've had "bad" bottles before (I've since changed suppliers). The heat here in Phoenix causes considerable expansion/contraction and the plant(s) need to monitor their inventory.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 07-26-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"