Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a question

Question just a question

I am a pipe welder, but things are a lot slow at the company i work for. i have a 250 amp diesel welder and a miller thunderbolt ac/dc, with these machines i have the option to tig with both. and i have the experience to do them too, i have only been welding for 1 1/2 years. im thinking about a small business on the side. is this a good idea? and i keep reading the mobile wrlder thread, what price should i start with i dont have a shear or a big shop, just the 2 welders an some hand/ power tools.

If your a pipewelder and have a nice machine, just build a rig and start running fab or mainline. I think with the way things are now days, you could make more money running pipe. Plus theres alot of projects on the east coast right now and you could still do small jobs on the side.
    But thats just my two cents
    Good luck!

P.S. jobs I have worked lately pay $35-40 an hour on the arm and $15 an hour for your rig. Perdiem is around $90-105 per day.
    Last edited by sae350; 07-25-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Here are two threads that I enjoyed that addressed the cost of welding:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ight=shop+cost

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ight=shop+cost

Good Luck!

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Matt, You can always start by talking to people you know, And let them know you are doing side line work. And see where it takes you. Don't gouge people with the price and before you know it you will have plenty of work. Then you can decide going self employed or just do it as side line work..

Rates are a funny thing. The guys that have full shops and do portable have a different position and edge, usually well established by then and have considerable experience as well as track record of performance. You might be able to use price some but there is no point in going in the hole either. I would also look for work where a single rig would suffice. Being a really slick tig welder would be a plus.

OK thanks everybody for your input. as far as the rig goes all i have is a f150 and the diesel welder so i dont know if that would be enough? i would love to do that and travel, but wouldnt i have to hire people, fitter, helper, ect witch i guess that would be one of the steps in starting your own?

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrissey View Post
    OK thanks everybody for your input. as far as the rig goes all i have is a f150 and the diesel welder so i dont know if that would be enough? i would love to do that and travel, but wouldnt i have to hire people, fitter, helper, ect witch i guess that would be one of the steps in starting your own?
    Well Matt, At first you would have to be the fitter, the helper and the welder all in one. It would be nice to have something beefyer than a half ton to put all your tools in.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrissey View Post
    If you want to run pipe and you said that your a pipe welder already, all you need is a rig with your machine and tools. If your fabbing, you will fit all your own pipe. Most companies supply the helpers. Your half ton truck would be ok to get you goin.
    2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Default thanks

ok cool thanks alot fou all the help

Thumbs up

My father made a good living with a half ton and a trailor and torch.I'm doing it with a dodge dakota/318 4WD and a trailor.Look for local welding contractors and sub for them.GOOD Luck,brother.