Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Question about welding table

Ok so I wondered into my local steel shop for some bits andIve been wanting to build a welding table for about a year so I noticed a hunk of plate sitting in the corner it is 48" x 38" X 1/2" thick Im thinking this should be overkill for a welding table. They were asking $200 for it which seems ok, since they would make me buy a full sheet if i want a custom ordered piece, and this was a misorder or an off cut.

I also picked up some 2x2x3/16 box for the frame and some big 5" locking casters

Im hoping this is going the right way, so far
    Garage Guy Chris
    equipment:
    -Miller matic 210 w/ spoolgun
    -Syncrowave 180SD

5" locking casters??? hmmm i like my table to not move at all. and even if you lock um you will still get some movement
    but other then that sounds good

Thumbs up No Overkill Here

Quote Originally Posted by Garage guy chris View Post
    Ok so I wondered into my local steel shop for some bits andIve been wanting to build a welding table for about a year so I noticed a hunk of plate sitting in the corner it is 48" x 38" X 1/2" thick Im thinking this should be overkill for a welding table. They were asking $200 for it which seems ok, since they would make me buy a full sheet if i want a custom ordered piece, and this was a misorder or an off cut.

I also picked up some 2x2x3/16 box for the frame and some big 5" locking casters

Chris, There is no such thing as over kill when you are talking about a welding/fabricating table.

I kinda disagree with the casters, unless you can make a lowering and lifting device for it. Some thing like they have at the home centers for their rolling ladders they use for the upper shelves on their pallet racking. but instead of spring loaded make it with a lever..

Garage Guy Chris - Go for it!!! That would make a great welding table. Both of my tables, stationary and portable have 3/8" tops and serve me well. 1/2" would just be that much better.

As for the casters, try them. If you don't like them, you can always put on smaller ones. Since they lock, you shouldn't have any movement unless you are putting a lot of lateral force on the table or banging on it real hard.

Show us when it's done.

200 is cheep buy them both

My welding table is 3 feet by 5 feet, and is of 5/8" thick mild steel. I have no worries about that doing any warping for what i'm working on. so 1/2" should be very well also.

Default 5" Casters?

The top alone, will weigh about 260# (258.65331# to be exact) so, may want to go with STEEL casters. Add the legs, etc., and a good 300-350# (2 x 2 x 3/16 box is 4.32 lb/ft)

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 07-25-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Hey, GarageGuy.
    Dave is right about the weight. Be sure your casters can handle it, but I have casters on my table and I could not work without it them. I'm a "garage guy" too, and all of my equipment is on wheels. I pack everything into my side of the garage and leave my truck outside. When I want to weld, I pull my toolbox, grinder, welding table, stool, welders, chop saw, burn box, etc. into a circular position so I can work in the middle. It takes about 2 minutes and I'm welding. When I'm finished, I sweep up and move everything back, then pull my wife's car into the garage. Easy as it can be.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

I have a table with a 4'X8'X1/2" top and 6 legs. I put casters on the corner legs and 1" dia. screw down levelers with pivoting foot pads on the center two legs. They serve as stabilizers and brakes. When they are in use I can depend on a table solidly in place. When they are raised, I can wheel the table around with some effort (about 775 lbs.).
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Default Overkill?

My table is a 1 1/2" thick by 5 ft. by 8 ft., Blanchard ground. Six legged 4" X 4" sq. tube frame with steel casters and levelers at each leg. I was able to buy it used (in really great condition) for $800.00 dollars delivered. It had a lower shelf all the way across which I managed to remove on one half (so I can tig weld on the end). The plate alone weighs 2500 lbs. 1/2" sounds great for your first weld table.