Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Well Gary and FK. If the tubing gets filled up with water given enough time would effect both sides. why would you guys think it would not. I gave my reasoning why it would. What is yours for not being locked up on both sides.? So you shoot down my idea with out giving yours.
    urch55 i wasnot shooting your ideas down at all. but you said "They are not sealed units. In the center of axle drill a hole in the bottom.To see if the tubing is filled with water." ummm if its not sealed how would it be filled with water? and Torsion arms are Hot Dipped Galvanized or E-Coated
    but you very well could be right about the rubber being hard
    i'm thinking i need to cut it open and just take a look and see
    lol
    i ask things here so i get other peoples thoughts and ideas and i might use alittle from everyones or nothing from any and sometime people give me the "i told you so" when they were right and i didnt think it was
    but trust me when i say i never shoot down anything you said
    its just theres no rust on anything you can see from the outside
    thanks
    gary

Is the axle mounted correctly so the arms can move up? Could the torsion rubbers be wiped out so they already sitting on the bump stops? Jack it up & see if the axle drops down.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Angry Nasty Rust (Idea)

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    urch55 i wasnot shooting your ideas down at all. but you said "They are not sealed units. In the center of axle drill a hole in the bottom.To see if the tubing is filled with water." ummm if its not sealed how would it be filled with water? and Torsion arms are Hot Dipped Galvanized or E-Coated
    but you very well could be right about the rubber being hard
    i'm thinking i need to cut it open and just take a look and see
    lol
    i ask things here so i get other peoples thoughts and ideas and i might use alittle from everyones or nothing from any and sometime people give me the "i told you so" when they were right and i didnt think it was
    but trust me when i say i never shoot down anything you said
    its just theres no rust on anything you can see from the outside
    thanks
    gary
    Gary
    Because the rust could be sealing it now. Plus being immersed in water is not the same thing as hosing it down, after water gets in very little would drain back out if any at all. I would sit in there until it would get so rusted it would look like sludge, then more water gets in until it would just rust up. Lets not forget about the rubber cords that run though it they also would get hard. The same thing happens with truck tires the rubber bead of the tire gets hard and rusty. Every time I had to demount a truck tire and ran into this problem it was very hard to demount it. The same principle is here the rust expands the steel and hardens the rubber until it becomes one. Look at some old boat trailer leaf springs what do they do,?? They expand until one of them breaks. So in my opinion this is what has happened to the axle if there is water in it now or not the damage has been done. And Gary I thank you for reading my posts and considering my ideas. Because after all it's just an idea. I was hoping it was too big of an axle cap but that is not the case with 5 lug hubs. Take Care..

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Well Gary and FK. If the tubing gets filled up with water given enough time would effect both sides. why would you guys think it would not. I gave my reasoning why it would. What is yours for not being locked up on both sides.? So you shoot down my idea with out giving yours.

You crack me up
    You make posts about people who tell you off and all that.
    What makes you think that I shot down your idea??
    I am thinking that if it was rust it more than likely would be only one side since they are independent. Just thinking as we go here not trying to be offensive. But maybe you don't realize when YOU are being confrontational.
    Or at least way too sensitive.
    Would you rather we refrain from trying to think thru a problem after you have graced us with your wisdom?
    Understand me when I say this...I come on here to learn more than anything.
    The internet welding forums have filled a void in my world that needed filling.
    I don't come on here to look for ways to make people look stupid and I do not aspire to be what you are calling a "good ole boy"

I really do have other things I could be doing better than filing my day or off-time on the forum and certainly have no intention of hanging out where I am not wanted.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Exclamation Hostile/Sensitive

FK: there is only three things I can think of that would make the axle solid. #1 the torsion bar broke, but Gary said the trailing arm was in a 45 degree angle I would think if it broke it would be higher. #2 the rubber cords are solid with no give. #3 the axle is rusted tight. This is my ideas. If you have any other possable causes I would like to hear them. When you say they are independent of each side this is true, but did you ever consider they share the same outer tubing and that's how they both can get locked up.! Just a thought or thinking out loud. I did not noticed what you thought the problem was that is why I said you shoot down my idea with out giving one of your own. And if you did give one remind me what you said. I do not what to show any disrespect to any body. I have been disrespected on this site and it leaves a bitter taste, that might be why I was hostile or as you say sensitive.
    I will try to word things better.. Hand Shake to you Fk. and Gary..

Pi$$ing contests are really not that entertaining.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    Pi$$ing contests are really not that entertaining.
    Maybe it would be if it wasn't 2 guys

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Maybe it would be if it wasn't 2 guys
    LMAO! That's some funny stuff.......
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Uruguay, small pacific country with south Altantic coasts, 3 million friendly people population.

Default Compress the axle with a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    hey guys on the trailer I been making it has an 3000# torsion axle under it and its not moving.
    at first I thought the trailer was just not heavy enough empty and making it bounce alot. but today I put 25 bags @ 65# per
    bag (around 1625) and my friend said that the only thing moving was the 10ply tires given (or as he said screming help me help me lol)
    so if anyone knows anything about this please help
    btw. there is no adjustments on it anywhere at all
    thanks
    gary
    If it were my trailer and I wanted to check the suspension I would turn it upside down, then I would compress one arm at a time with a long 3/4" treaded bar. 1500lbs per arm is not heavy duty for a 3/4" tread, and if the arm is blocked by rust 2 things could happen, it could get free so problem solved or it could bend the arm, so you would have to use a new one so problem solved too

Good luck!

Jerónimo.

PS: Congrats, that´s a nice big trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by Schnellboot View Post
    If it were my trailer and I wanted to check the suspension I would turn it upside down, then I would compress one arm at a time with a long 3/4" treaded bar. 1500lbs per arm is not heavy duty for a 3/4" tread, and if the arm is blocked by rust 2 things could happen, it could get free so problem solved or it could bend the arm, so you would have to use a new one so problem solved too

Good luck!

Jerónimo.

PS: Congrats, that´s a nice big trailer!
    well i rapped a chain around the frame and the front of a 3ton floor jack and tryed to jack up the arm and the back of the jack was comen up even with me standing on it.(never moved)
    so i drilled a hole in it and i did see alot of rust scale inside of it
    so i'm thinking its time to just replace it