Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question torsion axle not moving???

hey guys on the trailer I been making it has an 3000# torsion axle under it and its not moving.
    at first I thought the trailer was just not heavy enough empty and making it bounce alot. but today I put 25 bags @ 65# per
    bag (around 1625) and my friend said that the only thing moving was the 10ply tires given (or as he said screming help me help me lol)
    so if anyone knows anything about this please help
    btw. there is no adjustments on it anywhere at all
    thanks
    gary

got any pics? Maybe look for #'s to make sure you got the correct axle?
    Did you run this by the mfg?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Question Capacity

Gary:: How many lug nuts does the hub have.?? What size is the square tubing of the axle beam.?? What angle is the trailing arm when theres no load on it.?? There is never any adjustments, you order the capacity, the angle you want the trailing arm and in some cases the lug pattern. Compressing the rubber inserts that's inside the square tube is no easy task..

You said #3000 is that total capacity.? or each spindle. That would make a big difference. That is why above information is needed..

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Gary:: How many lug nuts does the hub have.?? What size is the square tubing of the axle beam.?? What angle is the trailing arm when theres no load on it.?? There is never any adjustments, you order the capacity, the angle you want the trailing arm and in some cases the lug pattern. Compressing the rubber inserts that's inside the square tube is no easy task..

You said #3000 is that total capacity.? or each spindle. That would make a big difference. That is why above information is needed..
    ok i started out with an old boat trailer. the tag that was on the tounge said axle / 2995 - boat,motor,trailer,and all not to exceed over 2995 pounds
    i didnot weld or even get the axle hot at any time i just cut the tounge down about 3.5' and cut the back off about 3' then made the box for it and so-on, so-on anyways
    5-lugs
    the square tubing of the axle beam is 2.5x2.5 od
    angle of the trailing arm when theres no load on it and loaded is just under 45(there was no change at all)
    i had alot of weight on it yesterday and it never moved it was still bouncing around alot with over 1600# in it. I think for just a 3000# axle it would have showen. also the trailing arms are welded to the torsion part from factory (not to the tube ) so i cant take um off to see anything without torching the welds or grinding um off and im trying not to have to do that if i can
    so any ideas would be great

thanks
    gary

trailer1.jpg
    trailer2.jpg

[QUOTE=glh;198534]ok i started out with an old boat trailer. the tag that was on the tounge said axle / 2995 - boat,motor,trailer,and all not to exceed over 2995 pounds
    i didnot weld or even get the axle hot at any time i just cut the tounge down about 3.5' and cut the back off about 3' then made the box for it and so-on, so-on anyways
    5-lugs
    the square tubing of the axle beam is 2.5x2.5 od
    angle of the trailing arm when theres no load on it and loaded is just under 45(there was no change at all)
    i had alot of weight on it yesterday and it never moved it was still bouncing around alot with over 1600# in it. I think for just a 3000# axle it would have showen. also the trailing arms are welded to the torsion part from factory (not to the tube ) so i cant take um off to see anything without torching the welds or grinding um off and im trying not to have to do that if i can
    so any ideas would be great

thanks
    gary

Gary did you ever think since the axle has been submerged no doubt many times that the axle is rusted tight inside.or the rubber rods could be real hard if contaminated by water and etc. They are not sealed units. In the center of axle drill a hole in the bottom.To see if the tubing is filled with water.
    Last edited by urch55; 07-17-2009 at 08:11 PM.

You don't have much travel there before the fenders hit anyhow, it looks like in the pics.
    I say just run the heck out of it. See if you can wear it out and overwork it!
    It looks good and it should be fine as well.
    I would think if it was locked up then it would only be on one side or the other but not both.
    3000# springs is pretty mean for that little trailer. If you was to switch to a 3000# leaf spring set instead it would more than likely rattle your teeth out as well.
    You may just need to simply go get another axle to better suit your needs since you now have such a dandy trailer. They aren't all that expensive.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

to solve this problem just go buy a new axle.

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    to solve this problem just go buy a new axle.
    Yes because there is no way to fix it..

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    You don't have much travel there before the fenders hit anyhow, it looks like in the pics.
    I say just run the heck out of it. See if you can wear it out and overwork it!
    It looks good and it should be fine as well.
    I would think if it was locked up then it would only be on one side or the other but not both.
    3000# springs is pretty mean for that little trailer. If you was to switch to a 3000# leaf spring set instead it would more than likely rattle your teeth out as well.
    You may just need to simply go get another axle to better suit your needs since you now have such a dandy trailer. They aren't all that expensive.
    "I would think if it was locked up then it would only be on one side or the other but not both."
    thats what i was thinking to.
    and i would hate to be loaded and 1 side free-up i would think it would sway alot
    am going to try to get new or atlest new to me axle lol
    i'm thinking maybe puting tandum axle. to make it alittle more hd
    thanks guys
    gary

Question Reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    "I would think if it was locked up then it would only be on one side or the other but not both."
    thats what i was thinking to.
    and i would hate to be loaded and 1 side free-up i would think it would sway alot
    am going to try to get new or atlest new to me axle lol
    i'm thinking maybe puting tandum axle. to make it alittle more hd
    thanks guys
    gary
    Well Gary and FK. If the tubing gets filled up with water given enough time would effect both sides. why would you guys think it would not. I gave my reasoning why it would. What is yours for not being locked up on both sides.? So you shoot down my idea with out giving yours.