Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ? for the turbo guys

I've got a guy at work that wants me to do his aluminum plumbing on his 85 1/2 Mustang SVO. Does anyone ever expand the tubing to make socket welds[slip joint] instead of a butt welds ?
    Last edited by Showdog75; 07-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

I've only seen butt welds and I think butt welds look better, but a slip joint would work, as long as your not restricting the air flow.
    Dynasty 300dx w/cooler
    Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Lincoln PowerMig 140c
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225

He's got two pieces of silicon hose that he keeps having trouble with and I'm trying to get him to order a couple of V-band clamps then hard plumb everything. I wonder if the V-band clamps will give a little as to hopefully keep from breaking anything else. Thanks for the reply's.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Put a bead in the tubing where he keeps blowing the elbows. Or, you can weld a bead onto the end of the tubing if you don't have a bead roller. I've done a lot of those for the local kids. The kits they seem to pick up off ebay just have straight cut tubing and it doesn't hold the pressure.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

V-band clamps will not give. And I am sure you mean silicone, not silicon. Silicon is a glassy metallic element that looks like this in its pure form:

As nice as hard mounting everything looks, you need to have a coupler.

Try Fishy Jim's idea...a bead would help, it would give that clamp something to hold against.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

I ALWAYS butt weld them for a cleaner look. I don't like the expand and slip joint look in the engine bay.

As for V-bands, they are the ultimate in securing piping IMO, but for a lot less money you can keep the silicone adapters and use good T-bolt style clamps on them, I've had T-bolts hold to 45psi on a car i tuned once and they didn't show any signs of having moved during tuning/testing.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Here's the ultimate . . . http://www.burnsstainless.com/Hardwa...insclamps.html . . . flexible and absolute, but not cheap. It's a quick-release and looks good too

Jim

I agree with the T-bolts, if the tubes don't have a bead on the ends add some in for better grip to them. you also might want to try the "Hump Hose" connectors, the hump lets them flex more instead of pulling off.

The absolute best for IC piping would be to use Wiggins Adel clamps. They also have another one which is called a hagart clamp if I'm not mistaken. Much better than any v-band or couplers. The adel clamp has some flexability which is awesome unless you have solid mounts.