Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: mobile welders

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I believe that you are sorta missing the point
    Basically if he doesn't charge enuff to cover his overhead he won't have enuff money to cover the bills.
    I started out at 50 an hr many years ago and have been getting $100 for at least 4 now on aluminum.
    When it's busy, if people insist I weld on their steel, then I charge the same money, because I could have been welding someone else's aluminum stuff.
    I doesn't make a whole lotta difference to me these days whether I am watching water draining out of your pontoon or manuevering your boat around or actually welding or even figuring up your bill I am gonna charge you $100 an hr.
    You have to establish value.
    There are a few, what I call "Jack Leg" welders here that are undercutting my prices because they have a bleading heart for the marina owners bs (when they charge per hr more than me) and they will drain water for 2 hrs and then weld for a couple more and charge $75! (total cost) They come and go all the time. When I get a chance, I like to go and check out the quality of their work, and it usually sucks. (no value there)
    In my case you are paying me for the off season and not so much the overhead. I realize if I run out of money before the next season starts then I must raise my prices accordingly.
    Kinda funny eh? I charge according to my lifestyle and all my competition (that survives) charges according to me!! This is sick, but it is the hard core truth at our lake.
    By the way if you charge twice as much... you only need to work half as much. (and you only need 1/2 the customers and only generate 1/2 the consumables too)
    But as I said before you have to establish value.
    Very well said . Your my role model as a self employed welder.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    she and hubby are both doctors
    This why they charged them double the going rate. Last doctor bill for a 2 hour waiting room sit and 4 minutes of face time with an MD was prolly still fresh in their mind.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Default Seeds Sowed

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    This why they charged them double the going rate. Last doctor bill for a 2 hour waiting room sit and 4 minutes of face time with an MD was prolly still fresh in their mind.
    Hey there BB. That would not surprise Me at all. I get tempted to do something like that, then I have to tell my self NO that is not right. People has to see that every thing they do and say are seeds sowed. The big question is what do they want to harvest in the future. What is happening to day is from the seeds sowed in the past. Some take longer than others to come to harvest.. What ever happen about running a business on the principals of lets say, Philippians 2:4 ? I know some may not believe and that is your option, but beliving the Word or not, don't change the Word, but it will change your life and how you see things..

Keep it honest and fair...Karma is a ***** to be reckoned with.

I have a 2 hr. min. charge from the time I leave my shop untill I get back.

Based on $ 80.00 Hr.

I had a guy call me yesterday that had an aluminum engine block that needed 2 mounts welded back on that got broke off in an accident.

He wanted me to drive out with my tig set up and weld it portable.

When He said it was only worth $ 80.00 to him I politely referred him to my competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

Based on $ 80.00 Hr.

I had a guy call me yesterday that had an aluminum engine block that needed 2 mounts welded back on that got broke off in an accident.

When He said it was only worth $ 80.00 to him I politely referred him to my competition.
    I wouldnt waste my time either, something like that deserves a bit more money.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Question Funny/Sad/Dumb

Based on $ 80.00 Hr.

Yes it's funny and sad/dumb at the same time. I have had people drag things to me that was no easy task just to save the $15.00 mobile unit charge. Go figure.
    PW. That's the only thing you can do refer them to the phone book.that's if you don't know some one by name.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Is this a realistic charge? Seems ridiculous to me.
    cat
    How much you charge for your Art?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Based on $ 80.00 Hr.

I find that the auto repair welding is the absolute pit of welding profitwise.
    They never want to clean or let you clean anything and just want you to drop everything. I blow them off almost instantly unless they are friends or refferals. They broke it when it was perfect but now they want a scab job

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Oh and I actually have a dude or two I send people to as well when they want a crappy job...and if they give me a bit I will look them up for them as well! Did it yesterday and gave directions as well. I used to work with the guy and he couldn't weld 2 pieces of bread together using peanut butter...but he has a welding degree!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX