Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default First good size project--thanks to all info given by u guys

until this past january, I had never touched a welder(in 34 years of living) after being layed off again from another factory(2 in past 10 years) I decided it was time for a career change.. Luckily my soon to be father in law builds highway bridges, so I found that new career path, but had nothing to offer besides being a human mule and packing plywood and lumber everyday.. I decided to attend the local adult vocational school and try to learn welding.. After a 120 hour crash course of stick welding I was set free,, whoo welding is alot harder then i first thought.., Anyways for the last two months I have been working at our "Yard" where we keep all the equipment(trackhoes<backhoes and Beautiful Blue Welders) I have been building some small projects that I found on this site, for my boss(fence post driver, metal saw horses etc) when he decided he wanted a steel security gate put on the front of the building and asked me if I thought I was up to it.. I scoured the miller site and found diffrent ones that you guys had built,, and I came up with this one,, Please remember this is my very FIRST bigger project,, that I had to start from scratch, with scrap angle and a small band saw,, I stick welded everything, except the U clasp for the lock, which I migged,,, thanks guys for all the great ideas,, I spend hours and hours each week on here quietly learning from the pros around this country,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Gate Keeper

Yogi:: It looks like you done a real nice job. Are you scoring some points with your soon to be Father in law.?? The real question is, is that gate to keep you in or out.??
    Bob

thanks bob,, I know it was an easy one for everyone here, but i had to start somewhere... I hope its to keep me in,, not out(lol) been in the unemployment line way to much,, I should be allright, because i keep getting ideas from all the projects that are displayed on the Miller site,, then i make my boss think" wow thats a great idea" ... trying to talk him into getting rid of the 225 bobcat and the old miller legend that we have,, and buying the new 302 trailblazer,,,, that thing is AWESOME!!

Thumbs up Creativity

Quote Originally Posted by yogi09 View Post
    thanks bob,, I know it was an easy one for everyone here, but i had to start somewhere... I hope its to keep me in,, not out(lol) been in the unemployment line way to much,, I should be allright, because i keep getting ideas from all the projects that are displayed on the Miller site,, then i make my boss think" wow thats a great idea" ... trying to talk him into getting rid of the 225 bobcat and the old miller legend that we have,, and buying the new 302 trailblazer,,,, that thing is AWESOME!!
    Hey Yogi: Don't sell your self short. No matter what the job is it takes planning/design. You don't just throw something together and hope for the best. That's nonsense.! You did a good job planning and the design was what you had to work with. Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact it adds creativity using what you have..

Bob

Nice work.

I hate to hear when anyone is laid off, but its very good to hear you are working again. Keep up the good work. Bosses only like one thing better then a good worker. And thats a worker that shows up on time and makes it every day. Ya just gota hate the ones that get paid on Thursday and miss work on Friday.

Dont forget to keep us updated on pics man.

Tom

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

thanks Tom,, I will post some better pics of the beads and the entire gate, once I get back to work on Monday,, i took those pics with my phone and they arent real great... Im just glad I had to paint the gate,, because my beads look like a chicken pooped all over it..lol,,, I can never express how much this one website has helped me and answered my silly questions without even asking them, because someone allready had...

what you didnt like the grunt work

the grunt work was great,, made me remember about muscles i hadnt used in 15 years... Things slowed down,, and we only had one bridge going on and I had to go to the yard, If i didnt want to be laid off....Probably the best thing for me,, because now I get to weld everyday... and learn more,,, quick question,, what is the easiest way to burn, scrap or melt epoxy off rebar, before you weld it???

Grind the worst off then use a torch. You can also try a heavy knot cup brush on the grinder. How thick is it on the rebar.??
    Bob

1/2" rebar.... I have been heating it with the torch to burn it,, but i have about 100 of these to do... they are 8' long and i am welding wall tie ends to each end of the bar,, for a job we have coming...