Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exclamation

Gentlemen: thanks for the tips and links.

FK:
    Sheesh, sometimes the answer is too simple; cut twice. Saving the money isn't as important as saving the floorspace.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Default jet is good

ive got a jet vert and horz, i love them, the vert saw will come in so handy, i find myself using it for all kinds of things, most of which arent for the purpose i bought it for, you will be pleased

Quote Originally Posted by gordfraser View Post
    craig,
    15" refers to the diameter of the wheels that drives the blades.

that leaves the throat depth is always a little bit less than the wheel diameter.

just some almost useless info.

think there are some horizontal/ vertical combination machines.

i have some jet machines, sure that they are all made in china.
    They are ok though, build quality was acceptable.
    a "value" machine
    I have a 16" Delta vertical band saw. It has a 16" throat and 3 wheels......none that are 16".
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I have a 16" Delta vertical band saw. It has a 16" throat and 3 wheels......none that are 16".
    Sounds cool...got any pics? (Too lazy to search thru the internet)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by garyput View Post
    Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy a vertical metal band saw for my shop and I would like to know what model and brand is most people using. I cut everything now with my sawzall in a vise and I'm wanting to let loose of my caveman habits and step up to some modern cutting equipment. I cut alot of aluminum sheet, tubing for headers, aluminum tubing etc.etc..... I see Jet is a popular brand and has alot of options to choose from. I'm just curious what you guys have and how well you like them.

Gary
    Have you thought of getting a Horizontal/Vertical cutting saw.? That way you get the best of both worlds.

Bob

Default Bandsaw

After a year or research, on the smaller bandsaws, I decided to go with a U.S. made Wellsaw Model 57. I got it off ebay for 350.00 with no motor. After adding an older bullitproof shopsmith motor, and a custom hyraulic downfeed, it has had very little attention other then new blades in the last 5 years. Parts are a phone call away in Michigan (always a live person). Lots of the chinese saws have gearbox issues (bone dry, full of shavings Etc.) and allignment problems (Hinge casted off center). Some are better then others, but its still a gamble on what you finally get out of the box. The yahoo 4x6bandsaw group has loads of info in the chinese saws. the Jet and Grizzly are on the high end, as harbor freight and northern tool on the low end. All come from the same factory, just painted different colors and different tollerances requested from the buyer. Its the same as always, you get what you pay for. I am not knocking the china saws, there are loads of happy people that have them. just expect to do some mods (rule # 1 throw the blade away and get a decent one), and tweaking before you get a decent cutting saw. After musical blade types for a year , I now only use MK Morse blades 10/14 bimetal, they last about a year (I do light fabrication when I am able). Lastly there is such a thing as "blade break in". This will make the difference between a few weeks, and a year of single blade use. I have not used my Milwaukee chopsaw since I got the bandsaw. Hope this is usable info.
    Thisis a picture of the model I currantly use. Wrench.
    Attached Images Attached Images