Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KEENAVV View Post
    EYE PROTECTION! When a wire comes loose they go through leather gloves! I know!
    They also go through leather aprons, jeans, and under wear, and into ...... I had a friend's dad that this happened to (it took 4 hours in the emergency room to remove the wire). I always kid him about now being sterile, and he kids back that he still has a good one.

They also go through leather aprons, jeans, and under wear, and into ...... I had a friend's dad that this happened to (it took 4 hours in the emergency room to remove the wire).
    that hurts just reading about it.

i suppose its true they can go threw the leather too, but you are still better off with it then without. just think how much farther the piece of wire would have gone if the leather had not slowed it down a bit.
    for me the apron gets worn, better too add a lil more protection, even if its not perfect.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Steven,

Good advice above regarding wire wheels and safety.

Think you'd be wasting your time trying to paint the underside of the table. Just wire brush it and let it go. Painting the legs would be OK.

Wire brushing the top to remove loose rust is where I'd begin. Then I'd go over the top with a 4" belt sander to really "clean up" the top. I've found the belt sander provides a better finished surface with less chance of gouging than a grinder.

Good Luck. Sounds like you've got the makings of a nice welding table.

Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    They also go through leather aprons, jeans, and under wear, and into ...... I had a friend's dad that this happened to (it took 4 hours in the emergency room to remove the wire). I always kid him about now being sterile, and he kids back that he still has a good one.
    MAN, the things you learn in this forum! I Never knew I would need to wear a cup when using a grinder with a wire wheel... The things you don't know that you don't know.