Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Welding Table - Needs Cleaning

My brother just gave me a "welding table". It's 30" X 48" with a 5/8" thick steel top. Angle legs 2"X2". Underneath is rusty & top has primary rust.

Need suggestions as to best way to clean it up short of hauling to a sandblaster. Plan to put casters on it and paint the under side and legs.

P.S. I started my "FREE" welding class . . . maybe in the next 10 weeks I'll learn to weld . . .

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMmars View Post
    My brother just gave me a "welding table". It's 30" X 48" with a 5/8" thick steel top. Angle legs 2"X2". Underneath is rusty & top has primary rust.

Need suggestions as to best way to clean it up short of hauling to a sandblaster. Plan to put casters on it and paint the under side and legs.

P.S. I started my "FREE" welding class . . . maybe in the next 10 weeks I'll learn to weld . . .

Thanks,
    Steve
    Twisted wire brush and a 4-1/2" grinder so you can practice your grinding.

I like to use a mop disc or a 7" grinder layed flat.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

nice table, maybe the twisted wire wheel will clean it off if not to bad rusted, I'd hate to grind it if you dont have too, maybe a sanding disc or flap disc?? How about a belt sander?? If that rusty, post some pics when you get it fixed up
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

A big grinder and a nice dust mask. I like my 7" grinder with the rubber backing pad and a 50 grit sanding disk. A wire wheel or flap disk works good too.

a belt sander with a 60 grit belt has worked very, very well for me. it finishes more evenly than a grinder does.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

EYE PROTECTION! When a wire comes loose they go through leather gloves! I know!

i have used all the above methods with good results, now i just touch up with a wire wheel or cup brush. and wipe it down with a little anti splatter gel to keep the rust from coming back.
    wire cup or any wheel will throw the wires bad!! full face shield leather apron and gloves a definite must do.
    a good respirator would be my recommendation for the rust removal but a suspect a dust mask is better then nothing. the $30 duel filter masks they have at all the LWS and tractor supply places is what i use, trust me you don't want to breath that crap.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I got a story about those cupped wire brushs. I was cleaning off some paint to weld a hinge on an enclosed trailer this past summer. I was sitting on a little stool made for mechanics and using a 4 1/2 " grinder with a cupped wire brush. wearing my normal, not too smart, summer attire, shorts. I happened to look down and one of those wires was sticking out of my leg. Of course I just pulled it out and it bleed like crazy. you wouldnt believe how far in it went. My point is the long pants would be safer, but ESPECIALLY the face shield. [I was wearing a face shield]Can you imagine what that would do to an eye if it stuck in my leg that much

Maybe this should have been under the not to smart topic
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Painting doesn't make much sense to me as it is just going to get burned or banged off., and those fumes are toxic.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.