Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding motor platform on air tank

I've got a vertical 60 gal air tank that I would like to use horizontally on a trailer. Can I weld a platform on the side to mount the motor and compressor? What about adding legs? And removing the existing mount on the end of the tank? Mig if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Travis

I welded on my tank adding legs, wheels, handle and a motor base 22 years ago, right or wrong i did it. Today i wouldn't do it. I think i would make a cradle to set the tank into and hold it down with straps and maybe mount the pump beside it. Just my thought....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Factory ones are welded on.
    Jim

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    Factory ones are welded on.
    Yes, but then they are ASME certified after the welding. When i was a millwright i had to relocate some big tanks on our punch presses and i wasn't allowed to weld on them so i used cradles and straps...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Yikes!!

I agree with aametalmaster. DOT might be a little nervous too. I did the same thing with a 75 Gal. tank but fabed 3 ring clamps with 1 1/4" X 1/8" flat stock and added snap clamps so I could take it out. Got the idea from a John Deere water trailer.

Good luck...
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Default add ons to your air compressor

an air compressor is classified as a pressure vessel, under no circumstances should you weld anything to it unless you are willing to recertify it (at a great expense) cheaper to buy a new one.If you do weld legs on it,anytime after that (could be a minute week or year)chances are it may explode when under pressure .not something i would want my kids standing next to in a friends garage.death or serious injury could occour,so.. play safe.( id hate to see anyone hurt so i had to respond to this post)

Thumbs down Don't do it!

I gotta jump in here and agree with man of steel and aametalmaster. Don't do any modifications on any sort of pressure vessel, not saying it will, but it could go off like a scud missile, it's just not worth the risk. Make a harness with rings and put the tank into it, then mount that to the trailer frame. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Ok, I will play it safe and build a setup with straps. But can I cut off the old legs and mount? Picture a vertical air compressor tank mounted horizontally with all legs and top plate still on. Would look kind of weird. Maybe use a bandsaw instead of oxy/acetylene?

Thanks,
    Travis

Default Cant you just pressure test it yourself?

My Dad and I built a compressor tank when I was little. We then filled it full of water and used a port-a-power to pressure it up with liquid to well past what it would ever see with air. (I think 400lbs). The worst that could have happened is it failed and got us wet.

Well that was going on 20 years ago, and its still his main air compressor today...

I was tired so maybe I missed something, correct me if I am wrong fellow welders!

Default Opps.. I forgot to mention...

His tank we built was out of 2' Diameter pipe with very thick walls. SO I probably would have to agree with the rest of you guys.

But cant you test them that way? Or can they pass the pressure test, and fail at a later date?

Thanks everyone...