Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I made these 3 rollers from 3" CR for about 100 bucks and postage was only 9 bucks. The steel cost me 75 bucks...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

i was lucky enough to run a metal lath once way back. talk about a great tool. time consuming but man the possibility's. man how cool it would be to have one in the shop.
    i downloaded the owners book for the slip roll from HF hoping it would show the makings but its not the best parts breakdown sheet and as such dose not have much to offer.
    i did add a pic of a different roller option and a quick (not so great) drawing of the breakdown of mine. i'll see if i can come up with some more useful drawings or plans.
    maybe starting a thread on slip rolls would get more of the guys that made slip rolls involved.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

a little food for thought. ring rollers like the one i have are for solid stock. as are slip rolls with flat rollers. you can use shaped rollers to bend shapes, but flat ones will deform hollow stock. i added a few pic's to show the results for those looking to buy.
    if you get the rollers shaped to the stock, hollow is doable.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I made these 3 rollers from 3" CR for about 100 bucks and postage was only 9 bucks. The steel cost me 75 bucks...Bob
    Bob,
    What "variety" of steel did you use for these? You made them on your own lathe? What is "CR"? Chromoly? Which version? Are each of those a single piece or is the shaft through the middle welded to the rollers? GREAT info from you and Fun both!! I'm still sorting all the different ideas; I think you're probably correct in that I'm going to have to have two machines, and if so, I think I'll go ahead and get a 3rd machine as well for purchasing large quantities of 12ga or smaller in rolls and then unspooling/shearing depending on what size pipe gets ordered. Then through a corrugater, then through a roller. I may even try to branch out into various corrugations so that I could sell corrugated siding as well (for barns etc.).
    ~Clint

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Cool

Clint, I think you are on a roll now. I get my steel from a local steel supplier and sometimes i don't think he knows what he has but it was regular Cold Rolled Steel but it didn't cut like CRS so it was prob something else advertised as CR. There is a big bar mill right up the road so i am assuming it may be from there. If i was going to make a wider one like you need i would use a better grade of steel like Stress-proof C1144.
    http://www.metalexpress.net/cgi-bin/...42002c055cc0f2 You can look around here....Bob

are you thinking you could corrugate it after its already rolled?? or corrugate it first then roll it ??
    just keep in mind rolling odd shapes will most likely need a matching roll. the HF version i mentioned doubles as a slip roll and a bead roller at one end with the first 2 rolls geared together and the 3rd one adjusts in and out to form different roll diameters as a slip roll. again a pretty simple design once you see it you will think, "man thats too simple to work" but there is not much to it really.
    good luck and keep us posted when you start your build.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

So browsing this and other threads, I see different styles.

1. Drive on 1 roll OR Drive on 2 rolls
    2. Removable top roll for removing material.
    3. Adjustable width of the 2 bottom rolls

What is preferred? (Im getting ready to make my own)
    Anyone Rolling Angle-Iron?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by coronan View Post
    So browsing this and other threads, I see different styles.

1. Drive on 1 roll OR Drive on 2 rolls
    2. Removable top roll for removing material.
    3. Adjustable width of the 2 bottom rolls

What is preferred? (Im getting ready to make my own)
    Anyone Rolling Angle-Iron?
    2 drivers is always better, less slippage. What size angle? and how tight of radius? Angle would be simple to roll with the right grooves cut into the roll...Bob

If you don't know where to get dies, swag4x4 has a bunch online on their website. They have some for angle iron. They are made to work in the harbor freight roller. I purchased their 1 3/4" rollers and it worked great for bending my front bumper support on my racecar. That was .120 wall also.