Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question ring/roll bender help

I am looking for a fairly economical bender capable of bending (large radius) 1/8x1.5 flat stock (should be simple right?). Since I do not want to spend a fortune I am looking for a manual bender. So far the only ones that I have come across are:

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/RingRoller2.html
    http://www.pro-tools.com/m3roll.htm
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36790

Obviously, the first two would do the job, but they are a little more expensive than I would like. The harbour freight bender would be perfect, but it is limited to 1 wide flat stock.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Dynasty 200DX
    MM252 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    Spectrum 675

Lightbulb

look on e-bay and you will find the shop outfitters version for about $50-100 + $50 or so shipping. i have one and am happy with it. i added a ring to the handles as it just comes with 4 strait out bar's and a ring is much nicer.
    i used 5/8" all thread run threw the roller to make the handle. give good grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

I built my own for nothing from some scrap metal. Piece of cake if you have a lathe. I have made many rollers for guys here to build theirs. Here is mine and it can be made any size to suit...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

being as you are booth looking into the same thing i'm just going to add the pic's of mine for BWS29128 here as he is looking to make his own. i got the cheaper version in the link below or one similar to it. mine was $69 + shipping when i got it. steel prices and shipping gone up, go figure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Band...QQcmdZViewItem

any how i added a ring around the 4 piece handle as it really dose not work well as is. its just not a working option IMO. it will get the job done, i used it as it was new to make my ring for it. its just really hard to keep a steady roll going with only 4 small contact points. thats most likely why the shop outfitters is sold with a ring. i highly recommend using all thread for the ring as it gives great grip in gloves or out.

any how as he is looking to build one i took some better pic's of mine for him. BWS29128 PMed me about it. i'm purity shore i have some pic's of some slip rolls made by members also and will try to locate them and add them in later. kinda got a house emergency going on at the moment.
    its a simple design that should be east to duplicate. if i get some time i'll take mine apart a little more to show the individual pieces.
    hope the pic's help
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

one more, sorry i couldn't decide on witch of the last 2 were a better view.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

I got interested in this thread because I'm thinking of building my own sheet roller. Even more, I'm thinking of building one that will handle a full 4' X 8' sheet of 12 or 14 gauge aluminum so that I can "roll my own" pipe. So not only would I be building my own sheet roller, I'd have the 3 rollers custom lathed so that the finished product would be corrugated. The M.E. I spoke with who owns the lathes said he could make what I wanted out of tool steel and they wouldn't be that much money. I can make my own stand and wire my own motor. I may have to buy a hand-operated 22ga capacity "cheapie" to copy the design on, but other than that I'm just exploring ideas. This pipe project I'm doing has turned into a major P.I.T.A. and I'm looking at different alternatives to trying to mate up spiralweld and annular ring pipe.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

take a look at this.
    http://www.jhchoppers.com/
    JH Choppers put up a set of prints and pic's of the slip roll they made. he got the plans off the hobart board so he is giving them out. the pic's and plans are a lot closer to what you are looking for i think than the ring roller i have.
    i think you will find it well worth a look.
    if the link takes you to his home page, just click on the Tools link on the left and you will be there.
    cant wait to see the one you make . be shore to share pic's

as a bonus he has some nice bikes to look at too.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Cool

For those who have asked for a few more pics. I have an album full of them somewhere in cyberspace but i can't find them. I can make rollers for anyone that wants them, cheap...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default cheap, huh????

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    For those who have asked for a few more pics. I have an album full of them somewhere in cyberspace but i can't find them. I can make rollers for anyone that wants them, cheap...Bob
    Ok, let's see how cheap How much and for what capacity do they do?
    Maaaayyyy be "slightly" intrested
    thanks,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time